Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
colorblind?

Posted by kathyanddave (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 15:39

I was just wondering if any of you had kids that were colorblind, and if so how old were you when you found out? I have a 2 1/2 yr old boy that we have been working on learning colors for a little over 3 months now, and he still can't tell me even one color. He looks at the object like he's really trying, but always says red. If you tell him 'not quite look close and try again' he always says yellow. I also have a 5 yr old girl and babysit 3 other kids girl-7 girl-5 and boy-3 and it seems like with the other kids after a few weeks they all at least knew the basic red, blue, green and yellow. Since we're going on almost 4 months with him I'm starting to get a little concerned. Maternal grandfather is a little colorblind (browns and greens) and Paternal great-grandfather and great-aunt are totally colorblind. Any info would be a great help. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: colorblind?

2 1/2 is pretty young th worry about the colors....lots of kids do know them by then but not all.
My Sin in Law is colorblind...red/green color blind...and didn't know it until he was an adult. He learned that a particular shade of gray was what people called red....and thought he was stupid when sometimes he couldn't really tell the digfference. My daughter color codes his shirts and ties...he usually wears white shirts...but the ties are a problem!! (he's an attourney) He doesn't want to show up in court with a blue suit and a green tie!
I wouldn't worry yet....and what are you going to do if he is? There is no cure, you just learn to cope.

Linda C

o

I know there isn't anything I can do about it if he is, but it sure would be nice to know so I wouldn't always be asking him 'what color is the...' I'm sure if he is really colorblind he's thinking "duh mama they're all the same :)" I also wonder how colorblind kids do in preschool (he's due to start in Aug) since so much of it pertains to colors.

o

My dh is red/green colorblind. I think he was around 4 or 5 when his parents figured out he couldn't tell the difference between colors of cars. I've learned not to trust any colors he tells me. He can tell degrees of color better than I can. He has the clothing matching problem too. When I first met him, he regularly wore a red shirt with green pants combination that looked horrible. Now he'll ask if his clothes match.

o

I don't think there's too much to worry about yet. I think some kids just learn their colors quicker than others. Here's a link that says at 36 months they should be able to name at least one color correctly. So, I wouldn't even think your son is behind at all yet. And, I would give it even a little longer than 36 months before I'd start worry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Age development

o

There ARE tests he can do, even at this young age. Take him to a pediatric eye doctor for a quick screening.

You can even find some online.

Here is a link that might be useful: One sample color blindness test

o
RE: colorblind?...BUT

My point is, there is no treatment....why worry about finding out until there is a problem. Why spend one dime finding out if your 2 1/2 year old is colorblind, when there is nothing you can do about it and it will become evident in another 2 years.
Linda C

o

I ditto linda's opinion. Why waste time, energy, money and worry on something that you can't change?

I didn't go through the whole test on the link above, but wouldn't the child have to know his shapes and colors accurately to do the test? My three year old just flunked some vision test because he didn't 'understand' how to do it. He sees just fine..knows all his colors, etc.. just didn't test well...kids often don't at that age. That's why usually unless there's a real health advantage/benefit to finding out something early, you're best bet is just to wait it out. Otherwise, you may just frustrate yourself (and him) for no real reason.

o

Just seems to me like you'd be banging your head against a wall trying to teach him colors that he can't see... It'll frustrate you, frustrate him, and possibly make him feel stupid. He wouldn't even necessarily have to name the object -- just point to it, or outline it with his finger.

And no, it isn't something that can be fixed, and it's certainly not the biggest problem in the world -- but hey - it's easy and painless to test for.

o

I I have feeling that my son will be colorblind. My father is colorblind and the gene gets passed on to the daughters. He is 2 and knows allot of his colors but when we get to red he gets confused and names all of the other colors. There isn't really anything you CAN do until they are old enough to really understand what they need to do to make their lives easier as far as traffic lights and clothing. My father used to ask us all the time what color clothes he is holding in his hand until he could learn how to identify them without asking. Finding little was to memorize what they were by the buttons or what not. I also remember as a child driving in the car with him and we'd be sitting at a traffic light and he couldn't tell if it was green or red. He had to remember where the red light was and the green light was. It's all a matter of remembering. You just have to work with them and stay calm. It can be frustrating but your child needs you to be supportive so just start learning about it now and then when it comes time when they really need to learn these techniques it will be much easier for the both of you. I've already done this with my father so it's pretty simple. Just help them when they need your help and explain to then that this is ok and that he/she is just very unique.

o

My son didn't crasp colors until they were objects that he cared about - CARS! He now names the colors of every car on the road correctly, but still mixes them up inside the house.

I thougth that he was green/blue color blind for a while (which runs in my mom's family), but I don't worry about it and just work hard not to make him wrong if he names the wrong color. I just follow in my most excited voice This is green...or whatever the correct color is. I never exclaim, No, you're wrong. Who wants to be told that?

You have lots of great advice from everyone. I just wouldn't worry too much yet.

o

To those worried about colorblindness in their toddlers, you're a perfectly NORMAL and good mama to worry and wonder! After all, without a doctor's evaluation, who knows what's really going on and it's best to have it checked out to rule anything else out also! For those of you telling her not to worry there's nothing you can do, it's not your child and your situation. If she wants to have it checked out for her peace of mind, then it's her business :)

o

Before you make any assumptions, you should definitely have the children undergo an Ishihara Color Test to figure out exactly what is going on. If they are facing some degree of color blindness, there are treatment options. Color corrective glasses and contact lenses seem to work very well for a lot of people. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Blindness

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here