Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
year old sleep problem

Posted by donner (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 19:42

My 1 year old grandson is waking up 1 or 2 times a night screaming. Daughter is beside herself wondering if something hurts him. Dr. doesn't seem concerned. It takes an hour for him to settle down and go back to sleep most times. Would this be caused by the little guy having dreams?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: year old sleep problem

Is he allergic to cow's milk? That causes distended stomach and night wakefulness. If so, it takes about a month for all the milk to leave his system, though I saw a change in DS after 2 weeks.

o

Thanks for responding. That was a thought I had. I sent your response on to DD. How old was your DS when this happened?

o

This may also be night terrors. Ds#2 had them when he was younger. I'm attaching a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: night terrors

o

I breastfed my son, so he was older by the time we discovered it. At 3 years of age, he was coughing and sniffing so much in bed at night that I took him to the pediatrician, who recommended an allergist. Removing milk from his diet made a huge difference, and if he accidentally got some, it made a huge difference then too. (More than sniffing and coughing.) The pediatrician said not to give him soy during our test month drying out period as about 50% of his patients allergic to milk are also allergic to soy. We took a few extra weeks to dry him out because he kept getting milk accidentally. So we waited to give him milk substitutes till later. He then used a soy substitute for his cereal and even liked goats milk. He is 30 now, and still quite sensitive to milk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here