Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allergy Appointment

Posted by victory_tea2085 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 0:07

My 3 yo has his first allergy appointment this coming Friday. They called and said not to give him vitamins or antihistamines for a week, why is this? Thanks, Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allergy Appointment

Why is he going for an "allergy appointment"?
The reasons for mo antihistamines is because that inhibits the body's response to allergins....but don't know wh7y no vitamins.
Linda C

o

Probably "no vitamins" because he could be allergic to something in the vitamin pill - frequently a binder used to hold the pill together.

o

He will probably be given a "scratch test." They have him lie on his stomach without his shirt. With a needle, they make 30 or so scratches in rows on his back and put a little potentially allergy substance in each scratch. Then they watch it for 20 minutes or so and see which scratches react to the substance. They cannot touch or scratch these itchy scratches. It is awful. I did it with a 5 or 6 year old. Our pediatrician had said to go to an allergist only when life is awful and we cannot go on the same. He was not sleeping because he was sneezing and coughing so much. And I have to warn you that you get false positives and false negatives too. Then from those results, they know what to have you avoid and they develop shots. They want to see what he will react to. I have to say that the allergist had more effective medicines he prescribed than did the pediatrician.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here