Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Childrens Books

Posted by hooverboy (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 02 at 22:28

Hi I dont know if this is the right forum to be posting in, but I have a great idea for childrens story which I am developing a plot for. I would like to know from parenstt hough what appeals to them in a childrens book and also what appeals to children.

What would make you want to PURCHASE a book, rather than just borrow it from a library?

BTW the story has nothing to do with Hoovers, so just ignore my name ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Childrens Books

I am a children's book fanatic and purchase more than I borrow. I can't see myself ever parting with the collection we have built.

What makes me purchase instead of borrow, or choose one over the other at the bookstore include;

Awards (sorry, but I do look for the Newberry or Caldecott seal)

Pictures that cover the entire page with bright colors.

A story my kids can relate to, something about animals or other children.

I also look for books that will teach my kids on their level. If I have two sililar stories, I will choose the one I feel they will learn the most from.

These standards might not help much. It's so subjective.

o

If you can get Scott Simon and David Pinkwater to read it on NPR Saturday morning, you can be certain I'll buy it.

Basically the same criteria as Stephanie -- age appropriate, colors are interesting and give me something to do other than read the text (name colors, animals, etc), and awards do help.

I also like books that introduce my son to something outside of our everyday life -- whether it's a different culture or environment or animal.

o

One thing that I'm enjoying, now that DS is getting older, is stories with a range of different emotions. It's certainly an added bonus when the illustrations and the text give the parent an opportunity to say "gosh, I wonder how *that* made him feel? how does he look..?"

o

What age child would you be aiming for. Bright pretty pictures with easy words for the younger ones. For the older ones, would it be male of female oriented? Fantasy or factual? For the child that is around 10, I would buy instead of going to the library for I would want him to take his time to read and re-read It. I would want it to have a vocabulary that would enrich his daily speech without it being difficult for him to read and understand. In other words. I wouldn't want it dumbed down.

o

I am surprised sometimes by books that receive awards. Not all of them read well or hold my daughters attention. My daughter really likes animanls so books about animals are often what we go for. Pictures with a lot of detail, so her eyes have plenty to look at while I finish reading all the words on the page. Nothing too scary, and to my daughter; being chased by a bear, having a dragon in the woods, etc ... all too scary for her. She also does not like to see people angry and sad if it is a repeating theme in a story. She likes fantasy or realistic stories.

But since the parents are buying, therefor choosing for their little kids the other posts are probably more acurate. Most parents I know try to purchase books that will help teach, things like alphabet, colors, similarities and differences, how to share, etc.

Good luck!

o

I would prefer no 'bad words' in preschool books. I have one in which "shut up" was used, as well as calling people "stupid". Luckily she can't read yet and I read it to her with other words. I'm just glad they were library books that I could turn back in. They won't be bought by me if I find those words.

o

Similarly, I steer clear of books that reinforce traditional gender roles. I look for books where Daddy's baking, Mommy's driving, etc.

I also appreciate a mix of ethnicities and races to help introduce DS to different ideas and peoples.

Books that require you to do something are fun, too. DS has loved Mr. Brown can Moo because we make the animal noises (and he can now, too), and has a book called Clap Your Hands that's really helping him learn his body as it will say things like 'wiggle your toes, touch your nose'. He can follow along and be active while we read -- which is great for mile-a-minute toddlers.

o

My ds is 21 months. I like books for him that teach a lesson. We read one about giving up the bottle a while back and we're reading one now about being a big brother. A decent ABC book with concrete associations like A is for apple, B is for bat, etc., would be great. My child doesn't understand abstract concepts yet.

DS likes the books where there are sounds like Dr. Suess...Mr. Brown Can Moo. Anything that I can read and do voices or make special sounds are absolute favorites like the froggy books. DS also likes anything where he can look at the pictures and point out the everyday objects like dogs, cars, etc.

o

Thanx for all those ideas!

I will take them into consideration.

o

Why would you want to purchase a book instead of just checking one out from the library?

Well if the child is very young repetition of rereading the book is very good for them. You would be amazed at the verbal skills they can pick up from repeated reading of a story. Repeat reading of books or stories is a good way to teach small children vocabulary.

Also repeat reading for older children is a good way for the child to learn to read new words.

o

If it's for toddlers, anything with lift-the-flaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here