SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurab_gw

Another Potty Training Question

LauraB
22 years ago

Can you all stand to listen to another potty training saga and maybe give me some advice?

My daughter is two and a half and we are trying to get her to consistently use the toilet. She's got the pooping part down perfectly. Once she figured out how to poop in the toilet, she hasn't used her diaper once. That was about four months ago. The peeing part is more difficult. She is a very strong willed child and absolutely won't allow me to make her sit on the toilet. If I try to make her sit on the toilet she throws a fit and starts to cry and tells me she dosen't need to go even though I know it's been a while since she's gone and she probably could go if she would just relax enough to do it. She just won't hear of me leading her to the toilet to tell her it's time for her to go. And usually she won't take herself to go. She does pee in the toilet and will even occasionally do the big toilets when we are out, but she's just not consistent enough or independent enough to wear panties or even the cotton training pants yet. In the beginning she liked wearing underwear but then she peed in them and got upset about making a mess all over herself and now refuses to wear them. She wants to wear either a Pull-up or a diaper. So I don't know if I should just continue to buy Pull ups (gads-they are SOOO expensive!)or if I should just let her continue to wear a diaper and just let her poop in the toilet for the time being until she's a bit older. I've been thinking of telling her no more pull-ups now and that she has to wear panties now just to see if that expectation can motivate her. I just don't know which way to go on this. She's so stubborn. My oldest son was like this too and he was three and a half when he finally got potty trained. My mother (who had all three of us kids trained when we were 18 months old) was mortified. I just don't know what to do with my daughter's stubborness. Thanks in advance.

Laura

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz