SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_m_gw

Lacking verbal usage

Melissa_M
22 years ago

At 37 months old how many words should a child be able to understand and/or use? Would you be concerned if your 3 year old child addressed his mother, every other adult, his siblings, and his father as Mommy, but had learned that your 2 friends had names and called them by the correct names? (We have corrected him every time he called us Mommy and told him our names and had him practice saying them over and over). I'm beginning to get the feeling that the only time any communication is used with his child is when he is in our presence. I knew he didn't speak much but I never dreamed he had NO IDEA what some common words I would expect 3 year olds to use such as dog, cat, story, boy, man etc. I sat down and read him a story the other day and asked him "where is the doggie" and he pointed to the woman on the page. I asked him where is the boy? Then he points to a cow!!!! NO WONDER HE CAN'T SPEAK! No one in his family has taught him any words!!!! At what point should you expect that a parent would work with teaching their child to speak?!

Comments (6)

Sponsored