Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giving up naps

Posted by bsouth (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 02 at 17:18

My son, who just turned 3, is trying to give up his nap completely and also has a lot of trouble going to sleep at night. He had been going to bed around 8:30 p.m. and still gets up around 7:00 a.m. He was taking 2-3 hour naps until about 2 weeks ago and now he won't nap at all.

He will stay in his bed for 1 1/2 to 2 hours talking to himself and I keep thinking he will fall asleep any minute. Finally I let him get up because he just can't seem to go to sleep.

I'll admit that I'm not ready to give up that time to myself but also, by the end of the day, he is very cranky. When we try to put him to bed, he does the same thing. A few days ago, we couldn't get him to go to sleep until 10:00 p.m. We've never had trouble with him sleeping and don't know what is going on.

Also, he seems to be scared and wants the light on (which we do). He did see Monsters, Inc. a few weeks ago, but didn't seem scared at all while watching it.

Is this normal at this age? Help!!

Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giving up naps

Hi Beth,
I have a 2 1/2 yr old boy who will at times not have an afternoon nap and me like you do miss this time out.The night time thing I feel is normal.My son goes to bed around 8pm usaully doesn't go to sleep till about 930pm he just lies in his bed and talks to himself.But he also is back up the next morning about 6.30-7am.We had problems with seeing monsters for a while but with told him they were just trying to cuddle and kiss him goodnight,and that they were his friends.This seemed to work well for us.My boy also saw Monsters Inc and we haven't had any problems so I don't think it is that. My only other idea is if you have moved something in his room lately that could cast a new shadow at night.Maybe this could be scaring him.
Good luck,
Christina.

o

DS is also 2 1/2. He still takes his naps and sometimes he's ready for them and the next day he isn't. His bed time isn't until 11pm. He's more of a night owl and this is just what works with him and always has. Well, he went to be earlier when he was younger but the earliest was probably 9:30. He gets up around 9am every day unless he had a busy day the day before. We've got him to go to bed by letting him take whatever toy he wants to bed with him~some nights it cars and sometimes a toy gun or sometimes a stuffed animal. He did have troubles sleeping awhile back and he told me it was dark when he closed his eyes~the little smarty pants! We talked to him and he told us one day that there was a big baby bear in his room at night. We've just added some differnt lights that we turn on until he doses off and then I shut it off. He has just a candle light beside his bed and then MIL gave me one of those ball shaped lights that she bought at Christmas time. She just wanted one to decorate outside with and they came in a pack of two. So it's hanging in his room and it brightens the room enough to make him comfy until he dozes off. I remember my other MIL (divorced family) used to hang colored Christmas lights around her closet when the other grandkids would come and stay. They loved the lights and they weren't too bright to sleep with.

Good luck to you. It may just be a stage for now. They have those.

~Leslie~

o

My daughter was 3 in September. She usually takes about a 1 hour nap in the afternoon. She goes to bed about 7:30 and goes right to sleep. Now....our problem is that she is up like 3 - 5 times a night crying that she doesn't like her room. We rub her back or read a book and she goes back to sleep. But in the meantime hubby and I are not EVER getting a full nights sleep. Then at about 3:30am she is up and can't go back to sleep. We are all exhausted. She has a nightlight, sleeps with a blankie and a couple of her favorite toys. We leave her door cracked open. We have tried to put her to bed later, but she falls asleep on couch or floor or wherever she is. Same goes for trying to stop naps. When she gets too tired she will just fall asleep wherever she is. Any ideas for me as well??

Sorry, I have been of no help to you...bsouth. :)

o

the4toofs....
I have a friend that started sleeping on the floor of her Daughter's room because her 3 year old wouldn't go to sleep and if she left the room and her Daughter woke up, the whole Family was awake until the Daughter got Mommy to lay on the floor next to her bed again. Does this sound crazy to you???? I think you have to nip this in the bud. Hopefully, you already have since you posted this in January. If she wakes up and gets hugs and stories each time, of course she is going to keep doing it. She needs to find a way to get herself back to sleep. Of course all advice goes out of the window if she is waking up because of night terrors. If that is the case, see your pediatrician. Parents need their sleep just as much as the kids do. Good luck!

o

I am with you as far as going to bed. My daughter has "bugs" in her bed at least that is what it is this week. We have gone through the bed scares me. The dog wakes me up and everything to get her to go to sleep. So now we let her listen to her radio with a cassette in it with a story and usually by the time the first side is over she is sleeping. Nap time we let her sleep in our bedroom with a movie playing and if she doesn't fall asleep she is to stay in bed for 3 hours. At least she gets some time to settle down even if she doesn't fall asleep even though she usually does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here