Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One year old hitting and biting...normal?

Posted by ashley0802 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 15:19

My one year old son has gotten in trouble at daycare 4 times for biting other kids. I am worried about him because his dad and I are not together so im wondering if he is acting out because of that. I have told his doctor and the daycare says this is normal but I see all these kids that are very laid back and they dont hit or bite. Am I overreacting? Has anyone had experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One year old hitting and biting...normal?

My one year old was a biter. I was very stern with a "NO!!!" I would completely go away from her, so she didn't get anything out of the bite but losing mommy. As for at daycare, I can't help you. I did become aware when she was in a position to bite, and just didn't let it happen. It can really hurt being bit by a baby!!!

o
RE: One year old hitting and biting...normal?

The daycare biters (friends' kids) I have seen are usually younger than the other kids at daycare and get overwhelmed by them. They boss them around, pick them up and lug them here and there, and won't let them alone, perhaps lovingly so, but they are so bossy. The biter doesn't know what to do when he or she wants to be left alone, so he or she will bite.

I have to say this is one thing other parents just will not stand still for. You and the daycare provider need to help him tell the others to back off and to give him an alternative to do to protect his rights. And the other kids, assuming this is what is happening, need to quit treating him like a sack of flour.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here