Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potty Updates - how's it going?

Posted by ArabellaMiller (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 14, 04 at 13:52

T is doing OK. Totally pee'ing in the potty, no issues there. He lets me know that he has to go and is even getting the hand of pulling his pants and pull ups down and up on his own.

Pooping is another story. He'll say he has to go, but it's after the fact. I'm sticking to pull ups until he's master this, even though he really wants to wear underpants.

How's it going with you all?

AM - who's quite thrilled that I have a place to talk about potty training without people thinking I'm insane.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potty Updates - how's it going?

Things have sort of come to a halt, AM! Since it has been so cold here (we are in a big old drafty farmhouse and the bathroom is VERY chilly) I've only let my daughter try to sit on the seat on the toilet when the weather is warmer . Hopefully, by Sat. we will try again. I bought her some pull ups, but I am apprehensive about using them with her poops. Has your son had any success with them at all?

o

Yes, it's freezing here too (I'm in Fairfield County, CT). I like the pull ups, since he can handle them himself.

He's pooped in the pull ups, it's no big deal. The sides rip easily, so I change him just like I would in a diaper.

We're having a snow day today, so I've put him in underpants. I'm fairly certain he'll pee on the potty, and I'm hoping that if he starts to poop in the underpants he'll feel it more quickly than the pullups and run to the bathroom.

Your farmhouse may be drafty, but I bet it's beautiful. We're in an extremely boring cape and I long for some architectural interest.

AM

o

My husband stayed home today (combination of the snow & skating with the Rangers last night..charity event, not playing!)so maybe we will double team her on the potty, although I suspect he may not be too thrilled! Is it easier for you since you have the two boys and have been through this before?

o

Skating with the Rangers - how awesome! My husband is going to Montreal tomorrow for the weekend to watch them play the Canadiens. He's from Montreal and his friend is a Rangers fan, so they go up occasionally for a game. He's a huge hockey fan.

I'm not sure it's easier. I think it's more about the kid than it is the adult. THey have to be ready, you have to introduce it at the right time, in the right way, all the stars have to be correctly aligned (LOL), and then there's just time. I hoping my son will at some point start pooping on the potty, but who knows. This could be a big stumbling block. I'm going to try to be laid back about it and not push, but it's hard since I'm getting tired of diapers.

How old is your daughter?

AM

o

My daughter will be 3 in June.

I moved the potty back in the bedroom this morning and let her try on her Dora the Explorer undies. She played for awhile with me reminding her every now and then to tell me if she had to go. So far so good, but then she spreads her legs, wets the floor, then says,"There, that's better!" I laughed my head off but it was my own fault for taking chances.

o

That's hilarious! She sounds awfully smart. I think it's harder when they're more aware of the maninipulative aspects of it. My sister's son was 4 when he was finally trained. He was the youngest and knew that diaper change meant alone time with mommy and attention.

My son is very close in age to your daughter - he'll be 3 in May.

AM

o

Well, we are continuing to make progress. I was thinking today how nice it will be not to have to buy those diapers anymore!

It's funny how things hit you, though. The other day I was doing laundry and was putting the pair of Dora undies in the machine and they were so tiny! My baby is getting to be such a big girl! WAAAHHH!

o

You think the little Dora panties are funny - you should see my 5 year old's athletic cup! (He plays hockey). It is the funniest little thing. I half can't believe how little it is, and half can't believe my baby needs one!

We've hit a bit of a potty training road block. He won't. Pee that is, in the potty. He was great for a week. Hardly any accidents. But now when I ask him, he just says "no, I don't have to go, I went in my pull up." Perhaps the novelty has worn off? I may switch him to underpants whenever he's in the house to get him back to going on the toilet.

Any suggestions?

AM

o

Hmm, I've heard that happens sometimes. I know my daughter seems to think lots of other things are more interesting than using the potty (and who can blame her?) but I'm hoping if we keep at it she'll eventually realize everyone is doing it! Maybe the novelty has worn off for your son for now, but it could change back just as quickly.

My daughter suggested the dog use the potty the other day and we reminded her he goes outside, but with this weather I don't think having him use it too is such a bad idea!

A little cup, how cute! My nephew plays over in NJ but he's 14. I wish we would get a local rink around here. I think the closest is about 1/2 hr. away.

o

Hey All,

For me, we have hit the potty road block. My 2.5 year old just doesn't seem ready. We bought pull ups, she loves them cause she can take them on and off herself, but when it comes to using the potty, she has no interest. Yesterday, while I was feeding the baby, she went in the laundry room, stood there watching the washer & dryer run and pooped and pee'd in the pullup. Then I asked her what she was doing, and she says "I just pooped and pee'd" I am at the point of giving up and putting the diapers back on. Let me tell you, buying diapers for two is getting expensive.

Please give me some advice.

Jen

o

Hi Jen,

She may just not be ready. My son now pees in the potty every time, but I can't get him to poop there. I think he's kind of oblivious until after the fact.

One thing that helped with getting him to pee in the potty was to put him in underpants for a day. After a couple of accidents, he figured out how to tell when he had to go, and more importantly, how to hold it for a few seconds to get to a potty in time. It requires some clean up on your part, but that technique really did work for me.

Good luck.

AM

o

Thanks AM,

We just moved into a new house so I am afraid of "accidents" on the carpet but if she is wearing jeans, maybe it wont make it to the carpet. I had tried that before we moved and she cried when she did pee. Its worth a try.

Jen

o

Hi all

DS turns 2 in March and insists on running around with nothing but a shirt on, yes, even in this freezing weather. (AM, we live in Fairfield County, CT too!) So that has helped me get him to pee in the potty. Also we make a big deal of it...when he wants to go, he says Potteeeeeeee and hops, skips and jumps to the bathroom with me chasing him, so it's fun ;-)

But pooping is a totally different matter. He just won't poop in the potty. When he feels like he needs to poop and he doesn't have a diaper on, he insists that I put it on and he will poop in it within minutes! Just need to be patient I guess.

AM, regarding talking to others about potty stuff without being thought you're crazy (!!), which town do you live in? Have you tried the MOMS club there? The folks can be quite friendly.

Superbee

o

I'm in East Norwalk, how about you? I haven't heard of MOMS club, but I'd be interested to get more info. I'm in a couple of loosly formed baby groups, mostly friends who are in baby classes with me, or have older children that were my older son's classmates and friends.

We've only been here a few years, I feel like I'm still getting to know the area.

AM

o

My daughter has started telling me when she has to pee, but when we get to the bathroom she has already gone. Curses! I'm hoping at least she's becoming more aware of something happening down there.

Yesterday we went into the bathroom, and she looked into the toilet and started singing "I'm Wishing" from Snow White. It cracked me up, but I hope she doesn't start throwing things in the bowl and wishing for her prince!

o

Hey all,

Well, it took sending my daughter to the sitters in the pullups yesterday. Now, she has been using the potty ever since. Go figure. I worked with her all weekend. She never peed once in the potty. She goes yesterday, my sitter called me a few hours later and said how proud she was of her, she had peed 3 times in the potty. So much for "mommy help me". I think my sitter is going to receive a bonus for this one.

I am sure its going to take a while, but at least we are further than we were at this time last week.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here