Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite books?

Posted by livvyandbella (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 03 at 13:49

I am putting together a basket of books for my DIL baby shower. Can you tell me some of your favortes that you enjoy reading to your children?
Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite books?

For a point of reference, my boys are 2 1/2 yrs and 9 mo. Here are some books that they like and I find easy to read.

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
Bear Snores On
No, David
The Runaway Bunny
Goodnight Moon
Clifford The Big Red Dog
Rainbow Fish

I subscribed to the book of the month club for a while and picked out some good books that the boys really like. DH signed us up for a different club that was selling mainly Dr. Suess books and those didn't go over too well. In fact, most have never been read.

Depending upon what you want to spend, you can find suitable books at Wal-Mart or buy nicer ones at the bookstore. Just a word of caution my children have several nice expensive books, but the ones that they actually like me to read either have only 3 or 4 sentences to a page or rhyme or have sounds that you make like "moo", "buzz", etc. I know everyone likes to buy the really pretty books with all the nice pictures, but at this stage of life, my kids do best with the little 6" x 8" cardboard books or the others I've mentioned above.

o

Amos: The Story of an Old Dog and His Couch has always been a favorite.

o

Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. This was my favorite as a kid, DH's favorite, and is all 3 of our kids' favorite. It's a true classic.

Anything by Richard Scarry. Make sure it's really a Richard Scarry, because his estates has "syndicated" his characters. If the book says "Things That Go BY Richard Scarry" then it's a true Richard Scarry. If it says "Richard Scarry's Goodnight Book" Than it's NOT a real Richard Scarry.

ANYTHING by Rosemary Wells, especially any Max and Ruby books - "Max's Dragon Shirt", "Max Cleans Up", "Max and Ruby's First Greek Myth", "Max's Chocolate Chicken", "Bunny Cakes", "Bunny Money". She is mine and my youngest DS' favorite author.

OH, and you HAVE to include "Read To Your Bunny" by Rosemary Wells. It is the basis for the "read 20 minutes a day" movement. It's the sweetest book with the sweetest pictures, I tear up every time I read it to my sons.

Anything by Margaret Wise Brown (She wrote "Goodnight Moon"). My kids especially like "The Noisy Book"

Look for picture books that have won the Caldecotte Medal or won honorable mention. They are the "best of the best" from each year. "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats is a good one.

"Pat The Bunny" is also a favorite in our house.

I just love GOOD children's books. There are WAY too many children's books published these days and so many are just pulp, but there are some really good authors still at work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here