SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isaidthree

3 year old toddler transitioning from Crib to bed...Many Problems

isaidthree
15 years ago

I have read similar posts on this forum regarding our problem. We have been trying to transition our almost 3 year old daughter from her crib to a big girl bed (currently her crib with one side off of it). We have had numerous problems keeping her in bed and in her room. She is currently no longer sleeping where before she was a very good sleeper in her crib. And, we have tried several things to see if they would work...they have not.

With the door open, my daughter will leave her room wanted to either be with us, or to listen to our conversations. We would bring her back into her bed and repeat this process. However this process for has continued for 3 hours!!! Then she will wake up a few hours later and continue.

We tried a gate at her door, did not work. Would not only try to climb out, but actually said, "This is for puppy dogs, don't keep me in like a dog!"

We tried leaving her bedroom door shut...which contains her. This is the option that I most wanted. However here is some of the stuff that she has done with the door closed: Emptied out all her books and violently threw them across the room, actually slept for 3 nights in a row on the floor near her bedroom door, took off all her closed, and dressed herself in regular clothes, urinated on the bedroom floor, and the most disturbing one...climbed up her bedroom furniture to turn on the light.

Our dilemma is this: this was all with her current crib with no siding on one side of it. We are getting a mattress and boxspring that is a full sized one. DO WE LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN WHERE SHE CAN CONTINUE TO WANDER OUR UPSTAIRS, OR DO WE DARE LEAVE THE DOOR SHUT AGAIN? She hasn't slept much at all now for approximately 1 week (average amount of sleep each night is 4-7 hours), and we haven't slept either.

I don't think I can physically handle placing her back in bed 30 times within the evening. However if we choose that tactic, it leaves us with no down time. If we decide to keep her door shut, I don't want her hurting herself. She is a lovely, extremely bright, and manipulative child. PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH