SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicholas_e

Stitches + stomach bug = bad weekend

Nicholas_E
22 years ago

We were at a friends house Saturday morning when my 12 month old son bonked his head on a piece of furniture. He has been walking for 1 1/2 months so bonking his head is nothing new. But he caught it wrong on a piece of furniture and got a nasty cut. It was large, just under the outside edge of his eyebrow. It surprisingly did not bleed profusely. Only bled about a minute then stopped. He also only cried for a minute or so. He then acted normal, awake, aware and all that.

We spirited him off to our nearby pediatrician who has Saturday morning hours. Saturday hours are great. They had a nurse look at him immediately. They told us to go to the nearby pediatric emergency room. Waited 45 minutes to see triage nurse, then 45 minutes to get a room, then 45 minutes for the doctor to show up and do his thing. Over all it took 3 hours. It was surprisingly not busy, we were there at 9AM Saturday. So he got 3 stitches by a resident who looked 25 (not that there is anthing wrong with that). He did a good job. They strapped him to a papoos (SP?) board. A baby staright jacket. They decided not to sedate him and just used topical anesthetic (lidocaine?). He screamed and screamed. My wife did OK. Maybe they should have sedated her. It went pretty quick and he tired himself out about half way through.

The pediatric ER was great. They had Nintendo games, bubble tanks, toys and books. It was at Wake Medical and is pretty new.

Before being admitted we let his wander around the waiting room. He gets mad if he is restained and he was not bleeding anymore. So he had contact with lots of items in teh waiting room, a mistake. Sunday night he starts puking, not spitting up. We had fed him normal things so we think he picked something up. After a few hours he kept down some water and went to sleep. He ate his formula this morning an kept it down for 15 minutes until I left for work. Hopefully he gets better soon.

I was a little worried that the vomiting was associated with the head wound. But it had been 36 hours and he is acting normal. He is not running a fever.

Moral of the story. ER waiting rooms are greta places to pick things up. And stitches are really not as bad as I thought.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH