Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birthday Gift for Grandson Turning 5

Posted by gagesgranny (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 7:24

My Grandson's birthday is early February and I am trying to find a great gift for him. Due to a job change, our son moved this family 1200 miles away from us last April. Before this, they lived about 20 minutes from us. Boy do we miss them. DIL likes for his gifts to be learning gifts. I was looking at VTech Smart Cycle, VTech KikiJamz Studio or VTech Kidi Art Studio. If you have any experience with any of these toys, please offer your comments good or bad. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birthday Gift for Grandson Turning 5

Learning gifts are fine...I guess, but they plop kids down and make them inactive physically. Personally I gave my grands rollerblades for their 5th birthdays. (They have adjustable ones that grow with them). Liked that they'd get physical activity outside best.

Vickey-MN

o

Thank you, Vickey. I do agree with you about learning gift do make them inactive. When my sons were growing up, they were always outside doing something active but my little 5 year old (to be) has moved to a very cold climate. They moved last July and it makes my heart ache all day long, every day that I do not get to see him. My DIL feels like she has to keep him inside and busy so she wants only learning gifts. I am considering the VTech Smart Cycle as it sounds like it has both. But I have read a few bad reviews about it and it does take up some space in the home so I am not sure it will pass the DIL test. I am trying to find a balance between our DIL and my adorable Grandson. I thank you so much for your comment and the roller blades sound so wonderful. Sure wish I could get them for him.

o

If you'd like something with a little learning and some activity, how about a play carpet or mat with games on it? I've seen them with hop scotch, tic tac toe, roads for cars and trucks, etc. I realize everyone considers different things 'learning' material. My kids would enjoy something like this.

o

At his age, he loves opening lots of presents, like coloring books, crayons, pads of paper and colored pencils, stickers, tubes of dinosaurs, tubes of farm animals, forest animals, sharks, matchbox cars, books he can read with mom and dad, balls - big and little, bubbles, tinker toys, Lincoln Logs. There are so many wonderful toys, none particularly expensive, but great fun for a five year old.

I find those computer "toys"a cop out for lazy parents, encouraging kids to sit, not play or use their imagination. Fortunately, my daughter feels the same. I have so much fun with my grandson, just playing with him with his toys, and he has such a great imagination, sometimes I just have to stop and laugh, and he's never had one of those learning toys. He does play a few word games on my iPod Touch, but he loses interest fairly quickly and it's back to his dinosaurs (he knows the names of dinosaurs I didn't even know existed).

My grandkids moved almost two thousand miles away, but I fly down every two or three months for a visit. I miss them so much. I send the older one (3 years old) an email most every day, sometimes with a photograph of something happening here and I tell him about it, and always with a coloring page. There are so many sites with great coloring pages that you can print or email.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Toddlers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here