Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I didn't mean to wean....

Posted by proserpina (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 23:33

I am afraid I have weaned my baby (6m) without meaning to do so. Let me explain....

While at breakfast and at lunch he would nurse before eating solids, at dinner time I would just use formula in his rice and voila! Dinner was ready: I would "hand my son off" to my husband so he could feed the baby while I prepared the dinner for the rest of us (I have 3 step-children, so this was all a timing-balancing dinner-time-act). At the beginning I would nurse once at night, but then my son began sleeping through the night so I would only nurse in the mornings.... Meaning, from 3 I went down to 2 nursing sessions in a day.

For the past 2-3 days, he's been pulling away when I go to nurse. He gets really fussy and doesn't want to have anything to do with the brest (he'll latch on, give it a couple of tries and then pull away). I try to soothe him and bring him close again, but he just starts whailing again.

Afraid that maybe I wasn't making enough milk, I tried pumping today and nothing came out. Have I unwillingly weaned my son? Can I back-track and get my milk back? I was really hoping to nurse at least until he was a year old.... I need some advice. :o(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I didn't mean to wean....

Check to see if he has thrush. There will be little white specks in his mouth on his toungue, gums, or inside of his cheeks. It hurts if he does have it. That may be one reason, he wouldn't want to nurse.

I took the herb supplement, Fenugreek, for a few days to increase my milk supply with one of my children after I had been sick and not nursing as much. It helped. I bought it on-line.

I'm adding a link to article that has more information on breast feeding. There may be something in there that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Increasing your milk supply

o

You can always increase your milk supply. You need to put everything aside and get your rest, drink lots of water, eat well, and relax. I had a baby with an allergic reaction to food and had to back up a few times to 100% breast milk. It is doable.

o

Thank you so much ladies. I have been a bit of a wreck over this.... But I'm still trying and my son doesn't even want to get near "me" when it comes to eating. It's as if I put a log in his mouth and he has no idea what to do with it! I am drinking a tea that contains Fenugreek seeds and tomorrow I'll go get the pills. Hopefully, it'll all work out.

o

Do keep pumping that breast milk regularly -- or trying to anyway. As long as the milk is leaving the breast regularly, it should be replaced.

Also, try using pumped breast milk instead of formula with the rice in your son's solid foods. That way, you'll be able to see if it's something in the taste of the breast milk or something nursing-related.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here