Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start Now! (Advice from a Mom of a Teenage Son)

Posted by Culley (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 02 at 17:55

My son and I have always been close but, like most teenage boys, he's pulling away now (as he should.) He's 14, just started high school, and doesn't talk as much as I'd like him to. BUT HE ALWAYS LOVES TO HAVE HIS BACK SCRATCHED AND FEET RUBBED. I remember the same scenario with my own mother - being uncommunicative but finding comfort in her touch. The point is, I don't think you can suddenly decide to be physical with your older child - it has to be something they grow up with. So parents, keep touching and rubbing and tickling and caressing and DON'T STOP - you'll reap the rewards when they're teens!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start Now! (Advice from a Mom of a Teenage Son)

Thanks for this, Culley! When I was a little kid and I went to my friends' houses, I always thought it was weird if they hugged or caressed each other. My mom and stepdad almost never hugged me and kissing was just unheard of in my family. Sadly, I grew up searching and searching for this intimacy in all the wrong places. Now that I have my own DH and DD, we cuddle, kiss, scratch and rub- it IS important!

Thanks again, Culley!

Blessings,
Haley

o

What a neat post. My mom always scratched my back. And now my husband rubs my forehead or runs his fingers through my hair and I love it. He'll even do it in the middle of the night when I can't sleep or am having a bad, squirmy dream.

They've also done studies that prove how much babies thrive and respond to human touch.

Just shows you're never too old!

o

I don't post here, but this post caught my eye. Wonderful advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here