Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stool consistency

Posted by nike (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 4:40

My two month old infant is on a mixture of breast milk and an occasional bottle or two of Similac Soy Formula and I was wondering what type of stool is normal for such a diet? There are times that it really varies from watery to soft as well as the color varying from mustard to dark brown. I have eliminated dairy practically a hundred percent from my diet, which has helped immensely with her gas and tummy aches approximately six weeks ago. I still think that my breast milk is causing her stools to be watery. What are everyone else's experiences with their diaper changes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stool consistency

Its definatly your breastmilk that is causing her stools to be watery,it is completly normal,breastfed babys stools are less smelly too.

o

Yes take it from a grandma that is perfectly normal don't worry about it. What you eat does affect the baby--I've never heard of dairy affecting the baby but stranger things have happened, so stick with what you know. You know your baby better than anyone and if it seems common sense to you then you are probably right.

One thing I do worry about though is your lack of calcium if you've cut out all dairy. I would suggest taking a calcium suppliment. Your baby has first call on any calcium you do have so make sure you have enough for you. Your bones and teeth will thank you.

Good luck with the wee one and enjoy every tired moment this time, is gone all too soon

o

The color and consistency of bowel movements will vary. If you have no other problems with the baby, relax. Sometimes a BM can be green too, and sometimes it can smell quite acidic and even burn their bottoms.

A friend's 2 or 3 weeks old baby was not eating well and she had the weekend to turn it around or the doctor was going to hospitalize him. He had not done well at all with cow milk formula and formula substitutes, so she called me for help. So I suggested that she eliminate all dairy from her diet as he was so sensitive to it and try breastfeeding him only. We had lots of phone calls across country that weekend as I tried to teach her how to breastfeed via the phone. On Monday, the doctor could not believe the improvement in her son. I learned only after he was weened that she could not give up butter, and so he needed medication to relieve the intestinal cramps from her love of butter.

Babies can definitely be sensitive to foods in mom's diet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here