Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What age to give honey?

Posted by lilypad22 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 02 at 20:40

I know it is bad for little babies, but I have looked all over and cannot find what age it is okay that they have honey. If someone knows this it would be real helpful! thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What age to give honey?

At least a year, maybe two depending.

This is an example of just one page that uses the one year (12 months) cut off.

http://www.allaboutmoms.com/solids.htm

That kind of info usually appears on 'toddler diet' or similar nutrition pages. Basically 12 month old developmental and health 'maturity' should be fine. I know some people who went for 2 years mainly out of extreme caution.

o

I did actually see on the label of a honey jar recently not to give honey to kids until they reach at least one year.

o

One of the pther problems with honey, beside the possibility of botulism, is that it often contains pollen from allergy causing plants. The young child, especially if there is a family history of allergies, doesn't need to extra exposure. The food value received would be very small compared to the possible danger. I would wait until the baby is at least two. It's one of those better be safe than sorry things.

o

One year old at the very least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here