Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breastfed 4MO refusing formula

Posted by thull (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 22:39

Our DD has consistently refused formula over the past few days. As soon as she can taste it, she gets all scrunchy-faced and sometimes hollers (especially tonight). She's been breastfed all along, and we introduced bottles of expressed milk as early as we could. She's even had formula before, but that's been several weeks. We tried Similac Advance tonight, but I'm not sure whether we just did different containers (smaller bottles/cans) or Enfamil also over the weekend.

Any wisdom on getting past this? We tried a 1/2-1/2 mix tonight, but that didn't work either. We've gotten a bit behind on our supply of breast milk for daycare/whatever, so we're worried about catching back up.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breastfed 4MO refusing formula

When does your doctor recommend you start feeding the baby solid foods like cereal, etc.? There is a range of opinions on timing. Some people have really strong opinions on it.

I got around your problem by introducing cereal. My doctor suggested we start with the cereal around 4 months. My child loved it. I would nurse my child before work. He would have his cereal snack and then I would came in to breastfeed him at lunchtime. DS figured out that if he nursed and ate his cereal, he wouldsn't have to drink out of a bottle so I started ending up with bottles of unused milk/formula. After that, I quit pumping.

I'm not sure if the cereal solution would work for you. My other advise would just be to keep trying. I think this problem is common in older babies who switch from formula to cow's milk after they turn one.

o

That's a good question. We need to check w/ the pediatrician and see what she recommends. Last night was kind of nerve-wracking, and DW is worried that this is going to completely chain her to DD, which she can't do b/c of work, etc. Thanks.

o

My DD could not drink formula made from powder - somehow it gave her gas. I had to feed her the canned kind. Hope this helps...

o

You could try feeding a small amount of formula, and if she eats it, give her a little breast milk afterwards. I started my DD on ceral around this age as well. You could (some people disagree with this method, but I think it's okay) put a small amount of ceral mixed with formula in the bottle and see if she is interested in that. Then start formula bottles only, and ceral hand fed. Are you trying to give up breast feeding totally, or just cut down?

o

We're not really working on weaning. We just want the flexibility that having formula as an option gives us. DD's intake is matching DW's production pretty closely. Being able to give her formula occasionally will give us the ability to build a refrigerated/frozen reserve back up for daycare/dates/etc. DW has an out-of-town conference in 6 wks that she's pretty concerned about.

So far, DD tastes then spits out anything from 1/3 formula:breastmilk and up. I'm almost wondering if we ought to start w/ a dropper and build up to get her used to it.

o

Don't tell your pede this....but if you add a bit of sweetener to the formula....even a lot of sweetener at first, she will take it more readily.
And yeah.....while it's nerve wracking, when momma isn't there the baby will protest less....and as long as you are offering her nourishment, she won't starve herself. She sees or smells Mom and wants the real thing.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here