Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Shower Advice

Posted by passport4vicki (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 07 at 13:39

I am planning a baby shower for my DD. What did you like best about your shower? What did you hate?

I was thinking of: ladies only, brunch food, bring diapers or baby wipes (if they want) to enter into prize raffle, play some games ...
I will address thank you notes for her when I address the invitations.

That's all I got.
1st time Nana!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Shower Advice

I can't say what I hated because I am not sure there was anything I really didn't like.

What I did love was a "cake" a girlfriend gave me made out of diapers. It looked like a wedding layered cake but it was all diapers (and decorations). I think new moms underestimate how many diapers a newborn goes through. Besides the practicality of it, I thought it was ABSOLUTELY adorable!!!

Another thing that I also loved was that my girlfriends had all the women that came bring lyrics, poems or exerpts from whatever that they held dear to their heart and that were pieces of advice. A girlfriend of mine gathered all of them in a binder.

I wish I had someone address my thank you notes... I'm still going through my thank-yous 3 months after, but I'm also a chronically late Thank You card writer.

I had approximately 25 girls at my party... and it may even have been a bit too many since I didn't get to talk to any one of them all that much... But I loved each one so dearly that it was wonderful just to have them there.

Congratulations on being a nana!

o

I went to a shower once where we each wrote on diapers. Cute things, like "Daddies turn!" We had a lot of fun thinking of things to write, and every diaper change for the next few weeks was a reminder of the shower. She would share a funny one that she came across at say 2 AM!! Christy

o

I like the diaper cake too. I have seen them in the stores and have come accross the "how to" online ... I'm sure I have the directions tucked away somewhere!

I really like the writing on diapers! My sister had people decorated onesies with colored fabric markers ... but you don't have to be artistic with the diapers!

We have a new thing - a 3D ultrasound scheduled next saturday! I guess I will see what she looks like!

Thanks for your ideas ... keep them coming please!

o

It is considered very rude and ilmannered to throw a shower for your daughter. You might as well call people and tell them to send a gift to her.
A friend or co worker should be having the shower.
Linda C

o

Linda
I agree with you. Her good friend and my two other daughters (all her bridesmaids) are actually throwing the shower. They are all unmarried w/o children and I am helping with ideas (they have not been to a baby shower before), food and opening my home to use. Her maid of honor has moved out of state. I had this same problem with her bridal shower and just had to deal with the "way it shoud be" and what works best in our situation. The guests are all my daughter's friends. We have no relatives in the area. Her work usually joins together for a gift I am told.

o

passport4vicki,

Congratrulations on becoming a nana and don't stress about the etiquitte thing. If your daughter was having four different showers it might seem tacky, but just one shower does not make for a greedy mom.

My favorite gifts were the shopping cart cover (for when baby is older and can sit-up by herself) and the bouncer. The bouncer turned out to be the most useful too - newborns seem to love them and sleep great in them. Most of my favorites were the most useful items, the things that helped soothe the newborn.

My friends all wrote letters to my daughter and I really loved that.

And you are on the right track with the pre-addressed thank you envelopes. My best friend did that and then she wrote down what everyone gave me as I was unwrapping the gifts. That was a wonderful gift!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here