Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My 13 month old isnt walking or talking

Posted by cat3882 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 11:47

My 13 month old little girl walks when you hold her hands and sometimes she will walk her walking toys around the house for a short distance. She does not say anything. She makes lots of sounds but no words. When I tell her do go get something she doesn't understand. She seems much like a 6 month old baby at times. Other times she does things that amaze me. For instance, I am trying to get her off the bottle and the other night she wanted one. She crawled into the kitchen got in the drawer where her bottles are and got one out, closed the drawer, sat down and sucked on the empty bottle. Also, we have a 7 year old that is "normal" in every way. My husband has a 4 year old that has been tested and has been classified as "metally disabled." She does not talk, not potty trained and understands little of what you tell her to do. She didn't sit up until she was over a year old.. my daughter sat up at 8 months. She also didnt show any signs of walking until she was over 2 years old. My concern is that my 13 month old has the same problems as her half sister even though there are certain things that my 13 month old can do now that her sister couldn't do at this age.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My 13 month old isnt walking or talking

Probably the best thing you can do is to make an appointment with your pediatrician to bring your daughter in for observation and share these concerns with him or her. Ask all your questions there.

o

She's just taking her time. But ask her pediatrician.

My 29 year old didn't walk until she was 15 months old, and I was already pregnant with her little sister. I had nightmares of having two kids in my arms. Once she started walking, there was no stopping her. My second child walked at 9 months, and ran at 9 months and 1 day!

Enjoy

o

My 14 month old daughter is exactly the same. There is no blueprint, your child will be walking and talking when they are ready. If you are really worried about no words you should talk to your doctor but I was told an ear test would be appropriate because they may not be hearing words in order to say them correctly. My sister-in-law's son did not speak until he was 18 months, no words at all. My daughter can say "Uh Oh, Momma, Dada", she sure is cute though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here