Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding solids for the first time

Posted by need411 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 22:32

I know people start feeding their babies solids at 4 to 6 months, and just wondered when is it best? Sooner the better, or breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months better? And does feeding solids help the baby sleep longer? How many times a day, or rather at what times should you be feeding solids? I assume none right before bedtime? Any help on this subject would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding solids for the first time

There is a lot of info on this site about introducing solids. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Introducing solids

o

When my childrenw ere babies, you started rice cereal at about 6 to 8 weeks. And the usual time to feed it was at bed time because the extra bulk helped the baby sleep. It really helped with a colic-ey baby because the substance seemed to help keep the cramping away.
But then it seems they decided that breast milk only was best for a year....or some Dr's said 6 months. But recently I have heard more Dr's are saying that a bit of rice cereal at bed time ius fine if the child is waking and crying from pain. As one Dr. said to my daughter..."I never heard of a baby coming to any harm from a little rice cereal.
Linda C

o

An article in this week's Wall Street Journal sited recent studies that said the 5th month was best. If people wait for 6 months, there is a statistically higher incidence of infant allergy. I think it was Tuesday's paper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here