SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crystal01_gw

administering bad tasting medicine

crystal01
18 years ago

A young mother with a very sick baby needs advice on how to administer medicine that is so bitter tasting that the child chokes on it (see her story below).

My baby is still sick. She's had diarrhea for 28 days now, and has been running a temperature for 4 days ... I got her into the Dr. on Monday.

They had me collect several stool samples, and drive them to a lab. The lab called today and asked for more stool specimen! So we did that again today.... put the saran wrap in her diaper and the whole bit. The poor child! The Dr. called this evening and told us she has "C-Diff", which is a nasty bowel infection that is highly contagious (spread from hand to mouth if you don't have good hand washing after toileting), but that she suspected

her's was caused from the antibiotics she was on in April, and that the C-Diff was caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the bowel. There are only 2 medications used to treat this condition. She's on one (started tonight..... sort of...) that only 2/3rds of patients respond to, the pharmacist told us. Well, we tried for over an hour to get her to take the medicine, and I believe we only got about 1ml into her, when she's

supposed to have 3ml 4x/day!!! It is the most bitter tasting stuff I have ever tasted! I tried mixing it with jello water, applesauce, ice cream, yogurt, cereal, juice, and pedialyte! She screamed and screamed and pushed the

cups/bottles/spoons away from her mouth. She gagged on it, and threw up too! The pharmacist said he couldn't flavor it because it wouldn't mix in with it well. So, I don't know what I am going to do about this! We even

tried forcing it down her throat with a syringe, and she choked on it (and that is when she vomited it back up, actually heaving it up and gagging...it was terrible!) She kept coughing and coughing from choking on it too!

She then cried for what seemed like an hour (really it was more like 15 minutes!), and I felt like the most horrible mommy on earth! :-(

Do you have any suggestions on how to make this medication dosing more uneventful and less traumatic for both of us??? She's been sick for over a month now... I need for her to get better! Thanks for any ideas! BTW,

she is still eating stage 2 foods, so I can't put the liquid medicine into any solid foods yet. :-(

Many, many, many, thanks to everyone! Even though I do not know you personally, you each hold a special place in my heart for your persistence and willingness to pray for my family through this last year and a half.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Michelle

Comments (10)

Sponsored