Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Bio Clock

Posted by proserpina (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 9:50

I read everywhere that infants are on a 3-4 hour bio schedule (ie, they sleep, eat, and need a diaper change every 3-4 hours).

My baby seems to be on a 2-3 hour schedule. Should I worry? Do you think it's worth calling the doctor on this one? Am I "spoiling" him by tending to him so much?

Exhausted-new-mama-Proserpina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Bio Clock

All babies are different and have different needs. I had one newborn that ate every two hours, one that ate every four hours and one I had to wake up to eat (jaundice). If your baby is suddenly eating on a more frequent schedule or even simply eating more, he is probably getting ready to go through a growth spurt. I think the first one comes around four-six weeks. If you are breastfeeding, he may also be eating more frequently because breastmilk is more digestable than formula. The books are great guidelines on what to expect, but there is a large range in normal behavior that doesn't always get addressed. Unless your child doesn't appear to be gaining weight, I wouldn't call the doctor. You're the mom and if you think something is wrong, don't hestitate to call.

You're not spoiling him at this age. You're responding to his needs. He cries when he's hungry or needs a diaper. He needs you to take of that. Right now I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy having a little guy who needs his mama.

Good luck! I hope you're able to work in a little sleep.

o

Surely enough, it was another growth spurt... and yes, I am breastfeeding.... Thanks AdellaBedella. I have three step-children, but they came to me early but later on in life, so this first part of caring for a child has me in wonder a lot of the time.... but I guess the same goes for my little guy as it goes for the other kids: BREATHE!!!

:o)

Oh, he's gaining weight alright!!!

o

It is impossible to spoil a baby. Take care of him and love him and play with him and have fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here