SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need411

Milk running dry

need411
17 years ago

I don't think I have problems with milk production, because my baby eats fine every 2 to 3 hours during the day and seems content. When I pump after a good nap, I can get 4 sometimes 5 ounces of milk, so I don't think I have problems producing enough milk. My baby AL is 6 weeks old, and like all parents, I am a sleep deprived zombie! For some reason, AL wants to feed every hour, sometimes even every 30 minutes after last feeding at nighttime. Midnight seems like a magical number because just as I get tired and want to sleep, he starts his feeding frenzy. My breasts feel empty because of his frequent feedings and don't have enough time to replenish its supply, and because of the lack of supply AL wants to keep feeding. It's a vicious cycle and I get so tired I want to cry. Last night at 4am, I got so frustrated I ended up giving formula, and he drank vigorously (signaling to me that he had been hungry even after having breastfed 20 minutes ago). After finally putting him down, he threw it all up. THen he pooped. HELP! What am I doing wrong? This isn't just a growth spurt because this has been an ongoing problem... I am soo tired and I can't understand why he feeds so frequently and why my breasts won't produce milk fast enough for his hunger at night!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner