Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baby gift

Posted by miriamfeltman (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 02 at 22:39

Gosh, my kids are grown, so it's been years since I was doing the baby thing. I need your help mothers out there in selecting a wonderful useful baby gift for the mother of a baby girl soon to be born. Her youngest is 6 years old, and this is the first girl. She is a busy professional and has a nanny if that helps in selecting a gift? She will get lots of gifts, that I know for sure, and want mine to be special. Please advise, and thank you for your time. I know how busy mothers are with infants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baby gift

Some of the best stuff we got when DS was born was the really practical stuff, like diapers, wipes, and formula (DS was a premie and most of the stuff was bought after he was born and given once he came home). I remember all the diapers that were bought for us! We had so many premie and newborns that I believe we didn't have to buy a pack until DS was home for a month! How about preparing a basket with little essentials, like burp cloths, bibs, diaper rash ointment, rattles, some of those plastic links that I've heard a lot of raving about (they are a great toy in theirselves and they also come in handy to prevent losing toys), small receiving blankets, onesies, etc. Sometimes a mess of little things means more than one big gift. Good luck!

~Leslie~

o

I agree with the above. I got tons of gifts but it was the necessity items that were the most helpful. You don't realize how fast you run out of those items. PJ's, wipes, onesies, diapers, towels, washclothes, etc.

I am sure any gift you get her will be appreciated.

o

The last time I did the baby shower thing, I put a bunch of little things in one bag, like baby soap, powder, etc. etc. like a goodie bag. You could scale it up a bit and fill a huge basket. I wanted to do like a "mom's survival kit" for my friend with bubble bath (although that might not be good for a while if you've had an episiotomy! ouch - maybe substitute epsom salts instead or something), candles, relaxation stuff, etc. but she doesn't have a tub, just a shower in her house. It's so much fun!

o

Other useful things are often in the form of gift certificates - for film and photo processing, a portrait session, dinner out with hubby, a grocery- or meal-delivery service, etc.

If you want to buy clothes, buy her things for the appropriate season in 6-9 or 9-12 month sizes. She'll get lots of newborn and 3-6 month stuff that will be outgrown in a hurry, and it's nice to get some things baby can grow into. This might be especially nice since it's her first girl, so she'll be starting from scratch on clothing.

If she's had other kids (even if they're boys), keep in mind that she may already have many of the "basics" -- onesies and recieving blankets are often gender-neutral, and she's probably already got a lot of the early infant toys and equipment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here