Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
washing hair/water in the ears

Posted by StacieZ (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 02 at 19:12

Now that 7 month DS sits up in the tub, I find it difficult to rinse his head. He doesn't seem to mind the water in his face (that much!). Should I worry about water in his ears? How do you rinse your little one's head/hair?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: washing hair/water in the ears

Mine is seven months old too...number two and I do/did both of my children's heads this way at that age.

First I put about 2-3 inches of warm water in the tub and lay him down in it. I wash and rinse his hair quickly, and then sit him up to do the rest of his parts (adding more water at this point). I always do it first thing, because if I were to merely sit him in the tub and then try to do this later, he would protest.

Once he's old enough to sit really steady by himself and I'm not worried about him tipping over (age dependent upon the kid), I soap the head and have the child tip their head back and rinse. My dd wasn't thrilled, but she didn't freak out with this stuff either. I always did it gently and slowly..Used my hand cupped over eyes and ears (doing one section of a time). And we played and talked during the whole thing. I'm a firm believer that bathtime should be fun, or every day is misery...

o

There are these "cap" things in stores (looks basically like a sun visor) that goes over the ears and around the forehead. They are designed for rinsing toddlers' heads without getting water in the face or ears. I keep a dry washcloth handy in case DS squirms and I accidentally splash him. I rinse him with fresh water using a large cup.

Trish

o

Try to not get a lot of water in they're ears. Babies and children can't get the water out of they're ears and you can't tell since it's not your ears and then they often end up with ear infections. DS has a habit now that he's 2 1/2 of laying down with his ears under water so he can hear all the sounds and he's had 2 ear infections since he was 2 from it. Those are his only 2, though, so we can't complain too much.

o

Hi Stacie,

My baby is also 7 mos, as you know & what I've found is that she doesn't like her head tilted back so I use a big tumbler & pour small amts of water at a time (it's not like they have that much hair or so much soap to wash off) & then I use my other hand to glide the wter quickly towards the back. If you don't our allot at a time it usually doesn't get into the ears. Also, just make sure that when you dry the baby to dry the ears as part of the routine & you should be fine.

o

MY PEDIATRICIAN SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING WATER IN THE EARS AND SOMETIMES SHE EVEN RECOMMENDS IT FOR A LOT OF WAX BUILD UP (SOAKING THEIR EARS I GUESS). I STILL TRY TO KEEP IT OUT OF DD'S EARS THOUGH. I HAVE ALWAYS GOT HER HAIR WET AND RINSED THE SHAMPOO OUT WITH A WASH CLOTH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here