Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loves the bath, hates the after bath!! help...

Posted by jami_nyomi (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 02 at 16:14

hi all...
we're having a bath time dilemna! nyomi loves getting a bath, but when i take her out and wrap her all up in towels and we go upstairs to get dressed and groomed..she almost always starts crying.

it makes it hard to dress her, cut her nails (not every bath), and brush her hair.

perhaps the bath makes her tired and then cranky, but i try not to bathe her tooo close to nap time (about a half hour to hour before).

any hints?? i sing songs to her about baths (i make them up!). i bathe her 2-3 times a week. it's not too cold in our house...

she does get tired and cranky after being up for 2-3 hours...and does cry perhaps more then other little babies...

thanks!

love, jami

mommy to 3 month old nyomi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loves the bath, hates the after bath!! help...

Hi Jami,

I dress DD in the bathroom immediately after the bath while the room is still warm. She fusses a little bit but is fine once her clothes are on. DD doesn't like being wrapped up in the towel for some reason. I brush her hair whenever I have time (rarely because she's got so little of it!) and cut her nails when needed but not after every bath. Maybe it's just too much for her all at once? Sorry if I'm not much help! How did your trip to the in home daycare go? Did you like the place?

Paty

o

Which after-bath activities really need to be done at that time and cannot be done at other times? Minimize the activities, or 'procedures' done to her. At her age, any stimulation at all is 'work' and will take effort (even if it's more or less passive on her part because her little systems are all still wiring up and all).

Those things that you do do, try to do them gently but quickly/efficiently. (Setting out clothes and things beforehand might help with the after situation.)

Hairbrushing, or gentle head brushing can sometimes work like a massage. Do it gently of course, but the key if this works is to do it in predictable repeated strokes. The same direction, the same gentle pace... maybe with a song or in time to some CD music. Basically, the rhythm and predictability of it sometimes is really soothing for babies (and it can help the person doing the calming too). Repeat at least 3 strokes in the same area before moving on (devote some time to this).

You already do the songs (that would be another hint). Minimal dressing where possible can help you both. The dressing tips are mainly that you are the expert at predicting how your baby will move. You'll only get better and better with practice at dressing her and at knowing what kinds of designs for clothing will work for her (and you as her dresser).

change can feel upsetting, unpredictability can feel upsetting, and generally only having crying as a way to express that can result in some crying even when there is a lot of soothing going on (give you both pep talks too in your songs and things)

o

I would also say maybe limit the steps you take after the bath. I try to clip my DS nails while he is breastfeeding. He is usually very sleepy at that point doesn't struggle.

o

We have that problem also. We bathe our DD in the kitchen (baby tub fits in the sink) and she loves it. After we bring her upstairs to her room and unwrap her and start dressing her (as fast as we can), it usually starts after the diaper is on. She starts crying hysterically. We always have something over the top of her to keep her warm. We have learned not to do a bath before bedtime. It doesn't soothe her like it does a lot of babies, just makes her really irritable and it takes awhile to calm her down. I hope this is a phase and she gets over it, but so far don't see it getting any better.

o

Kayla loves bath time too. Our ritual is bath, then I lay her on nice soft towels and dry her off, then massage time. I massage her little body with lotion from top to bottom. It relaxes her..then I put on her clothes and starts kicking and squirming. It is the feeling of no diaper etc that she loves.

Then after bath, I brush her hair and give her a bottle. While she is eating I trim her nails.

o

JMO but with a baby this age, don't try to do too many things at once.

Do the bath and dress them quickly afterwards. A lot of babies cry with this because they're chilly. Do it in a very warm room (What you might think is warm enough might still be chilly to them.) Dry gently but quickly and don't waste time dressing. Save lotion massaging for times when she is awake and alert, not tired or hungry.

Save the nail clipping for another time. Preferably when they're sleeping if you can swing it..Or at her 'best' time of the day (for us it's mornings).

And how much hair can a baby 3 months old have? :)) Might just smoothe it down with your hand.

Also, don't do it just before they need to be fed. Sometimes they're fussier when they're hungry, and definitely will fuss if it's time for sleep.

I also agree with the singing...I have special songs for situations like this..Anything that repeats their name is good..in a 'sing-song'-like way...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here