Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd round of immunizations

Posted by nikten (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 02 at 13:34

Okay we are scheduled to go in of Feb. 14th (of all the bad days to have it). Was it as bad for your little ones as it was the first round? I have been agonizing over going and she is teething now too but they don't seem to bother her too much (the two bottom ones at the same time). She is only a week shy of 4 months so I think she is teething early, but I can see both of them and when she goes to try to chew on my knuckle it's like little pins. Why don't they give babies their shots in their little hamburger buns anymore? My mom said when we got our shots that's where we got them and we never cried.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd round of immunizations

Hamburger buns?! You are a hoot. Try not to stress over it. Your DD will do just fine. Just give her some Tylenol or Advil to help with any discomfort.

o

My little one had a lowgrade fever and Tylenol did the trick. THe first round of shots were way worse than the next ones... Kayla was in such shock the first set I can't even tell you how she broke my heart.

o

I leave in about 15 minutes to take DD to get her second round, I am dreading it :( First round brought her swollen legs and a fever for 4 days.
When was your little cherub born? Seems ours may be very close in age. Makenzie was born October 19th.

~Aimee

o

Sara was born 10/17 so they are really close in age:) She didn't have any problems with the 1st round except for the crying after & during them. I just hate to see her in that kind of pain:(

o

Ava (10/5) had her second round of shots last week with no ill effects! She was so mad (I don't blame her!) but recovered the moment I picked her up.

I did give her a dose of Tylenol when we got home.

Jen

P.S. Afterthought: Her BMs have REEKED since she had the shots! Ava is exclusively breastfed and I haven't eaten anything weird. We are both healthy. I was wondering if it might be something in her system from the immunizations?

o
change in odor

Babies' digestive systems mature all through their first year. During that time their bm's can and will change too as a normal result of that.

A change, after immunizations (or stress) might be normal or expectable. After about 4 months minimum, most babies have developed to the point of being able to digest solids. They might also have a change in odor (whether or not they eat solids, they still have a more mature digestive system which is more 'efficient' and different from a newborn or younger digestive system).

it seems more likely that that change is associated with a stress reaction and/or a change in her digestive system maturity

P.S. If the change seems to be chronic, and she seems to be acting healthy in all other ways it's probably maturity.

o

My doctor friends always advised me to give my kids Tylenol, BEFORE we went to the doctors for the injections! It worked well for me, plus, I needed something for me to cope with the trauma of the office visit. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here