Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ear wax???

Posted by Nox225 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 02 at 12:59

My DD woke up this morning with a big chunk of orange/brown wax that fell out of her ear. I always clean them with saftey q-tips after baths (several times a week) I do nurse her lying down at night (which I heard was bad for ears but it saves me so much with sleep). She hasn't been any more fussy or anything so I don't think he ear is infected. Anyone had something like this happen before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ear wax???

How big of a chunk? I also have noticed small pieces of wax coming from my DS ears. I don't do the q-tip thing, but just wipe them out with a kleenex after his bath. I am going to the Pediatrician on Wed for his 4 month checkup so I will ask about the wax output then.

If your daughter isn't complaining, I'm sure she's fine. I'll let you know what the ped says about wax.

JacksMom

o

Sometimes DD will have a piece of earwax come out of her ear that is like the size of the inside O of a Cheerio. (If that makes sense). It just meant that her ear was cleaning itself of some of the wax and dirt. I don't know how big you mean when you say chunk, but unless it is very big or it seems to be bothering her, I personally would not worry about it.

o

I have been told not to use any of the q-tips to clean their ear canals because what you are actually doing is pushing the wax down into the ear.

I know......I've cleaned my ears that way for years, but just to be on the safe side, I'm not doing it to my son.
I just wipe the inside of his ears with tissue and if I see a big hunk of wax down in there, I'll try and scoop it out with my finger nail.

o

The general rule with stuff that comes out of ears is if it's not green, it's okay. If it's orange/brown in color your probably okay. If you have any concerns call the ped.

o

Thanks guys! It was about the same size of Karla NE's post. I think everything is fine. I go for her 4 month check on Monday! I always use the safety q-tips. They don't even fit in the ear canal. I just hate dirty ears. I am so worried she will have ear problems. I had 6 sets of tubes in my ears from age 2-10!!! I don't want her to follow in my foot steps.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here