SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nox225

nightime breastfeeding promblem

Nox225
22 years ago

I have had this problem ever since my 4 month old DD was born. Since DD is sleeping longer at night (thank Gosh) I go anywhere from 6-8 hours with out feeding her. I always wake up with my shirt and bed soaked and my boobs are hard as rocks. My boobs don't really hurt but everything (and I mean everything) is wet. I know I should wake up in the middle of the night to pump but the last thing I want to do is wake up for 30 minutes since I just started getting some good sleep!!! Does this ever get any better? Thanks

Comments (5)

• Karla_NE
    22 years ago

Yes, it does get better. I don't know how long your DD has been sleeping longer at night, but when my DD did, it took a couple of weeks for things to be completely better. I would NOT suggest getting up to pump unless you want that to become a nightly habit. If you pump, you are emptying your breasts signaling your body to make MORE milk. Which I don't think you want to do. ;-) If you are so uncomfortable you can't stand it, pump just enough to take the edge off, like for a minute or two, but no more.

• Vickey
    22 years ago

Oh do I remember this. Towels stuffed in the bra. Seriously that is what I did. I wouldn't get up at night (I wanted my sleep!).

Good luck, it will get better.

Vickey

• Mana2agoria
    22 years ago

Do you sleep with a bra? Maybe you can try that with nursing pads inserted in the cups. I don't leak, so I don't know what else to suggest.

• Second_bub
    22 years ago

My baby is 3 weeks old and I leak day and night like you won't believe. I have tryied every thing I can think of to put in my bra to soak up the overflow - the most successful thing so far - a disposible nappy cut in half, half on each boob, haven't leaked through one yet.

• talley_sue_nyc
    22 years ago

Pump just before bed instead of getting up at night--I'm guessing there's time between when you baby goes down and when you do? That'll lower it a little bit for the overnight, and put some in the freezer too.

And you'll adjust, eventually.

I used to have to get up and pump, because I _couldn't_ sleep. So for the first 2 months, my baby was getting 8 hours of sleep a night (no, I'm not kidding or exaggerating), and I was getting 4 or 6. But I had a 3-month supply in the deep-freeze!

I did eventually switch to pumping about 2 hours after she went down, which was right before I was going to bed. I didn't get as much as if I'd pumped in the middle of the night, and I was still really full in the morning, because it's true my body took that as a message to make more milk. But the baby was ready to get up and eat then. I didn't really end it so much as move it to a different time.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz