Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning baby's mouth/gums

Posted by nikten (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 02 at 10:08

Do any of you clean out your baby's mouth with a wet washcloth or gauze or anything? Just wondering about that. I keep reading that you should clean off their gums every night.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning baby's mouth/gums

Yes-- I do after every solids feeding (3X/day). DS is 10 1/2 mos and still breastfed as well-- we don't do it after nursing.
HTH!
Maggie

o

And how do you do this? My 7 month old, now with 6 teeth, can't stand for me to go into his mouth!

o

I wet a baby washcloth and put it in the microwave for about 5 seconds so it's nice and warm. I wrap a corner of the cloth around my finger and just wipe the top gums and then the bottom gums and wipe the front and back of his teeth (only 4 so far-- and none before 9 months). After that I use the rest of the cloth to wipe his face and hands and then I put on lotion, pull down his sleeves and unbuckle him from his highchair. It's just part of our routine. I must say though-- kiddo is great about this for me, but not so great for his daddy-- not sure why.

Hope this helps!

Maggie

o

We use the Gerber "toothpaste" and "toothbrush". You can use it on gums and/or teeth. The toothpaste is apple/banana flavor, but does not contain fluorides, which can be harmful to babies. It is actually a gel consistency too. The toothbrush is a rubber cap that slides over your finer. It has mini textured nubs that act as bristles. It works well. The brush and paste come as a set. You just replace the old brush with the new one when you get the new toothpaste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here