Houzz Logo Print
malachite_gw

Your babies Nursery....

malachite
22 years ago

How did you decorate your nursery?

What kind of furniture did you get?

How much was the grand total?

Please recommend any sites that have nursery decorating ideas?

What do you recommend for the nursery, so that it's efficient and well planned?

Thanks!!!!

Comments (11)

• nadastimer
    22 years ago

Well, I wasn't prepared when DS came early. All we did was get things we needed as we went along so we never had stuff that wasn't being used. I took a lot of hand me downs. We rented and had no general theme, it was just Shane's room. That made it easier for people who wanted to buy stuff for him. They didn't have to worry about the colors matching or having the right say Winnie the Pooh theme. I suppose I'll do the same when I have the second one. We'll use Shane's stuff over again and buy new things to hang and stuff as we go. I would say if you're going to do a theme~don't go overboard. So say someone doesn't want to buy your baby shower gift at the store you're buying everything from, it will still work and be fine with you. HAve fun doing it and don't stress! :-)

~Leslie~

• AmericanMom_in_theUK
    22 years ago

My DS's room is not brand new or coordinated at all. I'm a BIG believer in re-using and re-cycling things.

I have a second hand crib, dresser, changing table and carved oak wardrobe. Paid $150 for ALL of it. I have refinished all the pieces so that they look nice. I have a really comfy upholstered rocking chair I got at one of those half-off of half-off sales. Paid $100 for it. Got a bookcase for free, from a school that my husband and I volunteered at. They were getting new furniture, and this one particular bookcase was going to be tossed out. They gave it to me, and I brought it home and fixed it up.

As far as wall decor....I got some cool peel-n-stick things that have all kinds of fun, colorful images....bumblebees, snails, spiders, flowers, ladybugs. I can peel them off the wall and move to another location, if I want. $4 at the DIY (do it yourself) store in town.

The curtains I got in a second hand shop. They are designer curtains (lined and everything) that have sailboats, stars and moons, houses, airplanes... They look awesome, and I paid about $15 for them.

I went to some shops in town around Christmas, when they had all their xmas displays in the windows. I asked them what they were going to do with those decorations after the holidays. Most had plans to re-use them again next year, but one shop had extra decorations and just GAVE me some. What they are, are pieces of cardboard that have different colored metallic surfaces....purple, red, blue, green. They were hanging down - about 8 pieces of cardboard to each strand - in the display window, and made cool, different colored patterns on the clothes when they reflected the light. I took them home, and shortened them - 4 to a strand - and hung them from the ceiling in DS's room, near the window. The reflected patterns on the ceiling and walls are so neat, and DS LOVES to watch them. Again, the shop gave those to me, because I had the nerve to ask, so they were FREE.

Other things - sheets for the crib (I have 4 sets), the rug -I got on sale (like, MAJOR sale) for a grand total of $40.

So...all totaled (minus my own labor and refinishing materials), my kid's room cost me $309.00 . I had to squeeze all the work around my full-time job at the bank, but I considered it a labor of love.

• Related Discussions

Check out our baby boy nursery

Q

Comments (17)
    I see pictures! I like the crispness of the contrasting white/teal. You are very proud of your children as we all are! Good job! Just a side note, I would worry with that picture over the crib like that- it could possibly fall on his head!
    ...See More

finished baby girl nursery--butterflies, flowers, ladybugs

Q

Comments (19)
    thank you for all the nice comments! My daughter is actually five months already--where does the time go??!! She is currently sleeping in our room. Now that her room is finished, I need to be brave and move her in there. Newhomebuilder--I had the same concerns about the decals and had my older daughter (who is 2) stand in the crib set on the lowest setting and had her raise her arm up as high as it would go--and then I made sure the decals were just a bit higher. So we shouldn't have a problem.
    ...See More

My century home looks like a babies nursery! please help!

Q

Comments (7)
    Oh my goodness - you are all amazing at this! I can't wait to stop by the paint store to pick up chips for all of your suggestions! Jeana these options are all fantastic, and the Kilim Beige might fit exactly what I've been imagining to add that richness compared to the BM Summer Harvest...But I will consider them all. I'll try to post actual pics on the weekend, and pics of the finished product when it is freshly painted. Roarah, you place is lovely! The gray would be very dramatic with my dark trim, but with white trim it is beautiful :)
    ...See More

Baby Boy Nursery IDEAS to complete room

Q

Comments (37)
    Things change quickly with a baby. I wanted bright and colorful so all these subdued pastels have me ready for a nap. My nursery had nothing on the floor a toddler would want to climb on or pull over to be used to help climb. That shelving with the lamp on top--DANGER DANGER WILL ROGERS. What feeding accouterments? LOL I nursed all mine until they slept through the night. We had a dimmer switch on the overhead light--the only light in the room. At night feedings I could quietly in subdued light nurse and change baby with little or no noise or activity. Baby went right back to sleep.I had a soft sculpture (Noah's ark and several animals velcroed to the wall above baby's changing table. Language learning was important to me so baby and I did a lot of animal noises and descriptions of fur and size etc. They came on and off easily for baby as they grew and needed something to keep them busy. I too would have your chair kiddy corner. I hope it rocks. I second the no time/need for feet up but everyone is different. No cords, on drapes/shades/lamps. Safety first. Love the fun knobs idea for the dresser. I would find a shade and go with a valance. I know they aren't THE THING--but they are safest for baby. Before you blink drapes will be used to pull himself up. Drapery rods pull away fairly easily. Have fun, I so miss those years!!!
    ...See More
  • AmericanMom_in_theUK
    22 years ago

Oh man...I just realize how Martha Stewart I sound. Sorry, ladies. She really bugs me, LOLOLOL.

But, honestly, I think second-hand furniture gets overlooked too often! Why spend WAY too much money on new, poorly made pieces, when older, better-quality stuff is available? A little elbow grease is often all it takes to whip something back into shape.

Okay, I'm done preachin'...(grin)

Enjoy your day, ladies!!

• Mhousework
    22 years ago

Decorating a nursery is more for the parents than the baby. The baby doesn't care what the room looks like and really doesn't spend all that much time in the nursery anyway. And most of that time is sleeping. So, I make sure if I do decorate the nursery, to not go overboard!

I go cheap also.

Furniture can be found at garage sales, thrift shops, resale shops, friends' and relatives' garages : )

Bedding and wall decorations can be found for the fraction of the price. Use your imagination! Comforters can go on the wall as a mural. Extra bumpers can be transformed into wall borders, curtain valances or small pillows with minimal sewing. Toys can be displayed in various places, even nailed to the wall, to add depth and color.

I did my boys room in a Daniel & the Lion's Den and Noah & the Ark theme to match their names. I was able to make them such a fun, colorful room, for less than $40, including bedding (sheets, blankets, bed ruffles, bumpers, crib mobile), books & toys to go on display and on the walls, and stuffed lions galore to top the bed and stick out of nooks and crannies : ) I only paid $55 combined for the furniture (toddler bed, changing table w/ drawers, bookcase to hold toddlers clothes) as the crib was passed down from the family.

As for practical things I did, I have 2 empty lego buckets near the changing table, one with plastic bags (the ones grocery stores use) to wrap dirty diapers in and one to use as a trash can. I keep the diaper changing supplies in a little basket, out of reach of the curious toddler. If this wasn't a rental house, I'd invest in a better blind for the window, one that would keep out the bright afternoon sunlight during naptime.

• nadastimer
    22 years ago

American Mom,
    No you are right. When I was little it seemed that parents re-used and took any hand me downs they got. Now if you mention something to someone who is expecting about how you have a ton of things you can't use anymore and would be glad to give to them~they turn they're nose up. I figure if I can save money in the long run, what's it hurt. Almost everything can be repainted or decorated up in your own way if it's in bad shape. As long as it isn't falling apart, right?

My SIL only buys from Baby Gap and thinks all other things are crap. I've seen my son wearing stuff very similar to the things she bought and mine were from Wal-Mart and much cheaper. She's only buying brand new things for the baby and doesn't want the grandparents or friends to buy most of the stuff. Her baby shower will be VERY difficult! EVERYTHING has to match perfectly, too. Last year she started buying baby stuff and they didn't even start trying until this year. My niece or nephew isn't due until June (find out today what they are having) and she went and bought and figured out the nursery would be Pooh last year. Well, now the patterns changed and she decided she really doesn't want Pooh so she has all this stuff she isn't going to use now. I thought it was stupid on her part. She could get excited about having a baby but don't go crazy buying stuff and then whining about how you can't pay your bills.

Just dont' stress over having the room perfect. It can be cute without being all perfectly matching and everything. Babies really don't remember what they're rooms looked liked and they aren't going to judge you and decide how much you love them by the way they're nursery looks. Have fun with it! Good luck!

~Leslie~

• jenibv
    22 years ago

Okay I will probably get reemed for this, BUT me and hubby went all out with decorating and buying everything new. Not only for her nursery but for misc odds and ends.

The furniture is good quality solid oak in white. It will take her through the years to adulthood. Jordan changing table (looks like a dresser) and a large 5 drawer chest also by Jordan. The crib is a Millenium 4 in 1. It will be her crib, then toddlers bed, then Jr bed and finally a headboard for her double size bed. The grand total including mattress was approximately $1800. Then we purchased the toybox, rocking horse and rocking chair in white, with ribbons and bows..for approximately $550. It really came out beautiful. Oh and the bookends and jewelry box match too...

The room is pink with Bunnies and Bears border. Her comforter set is also pink and white with Bunnies and Bears. On her toybox sits an oversized Pink Bear and White Bunny.

Her comforter set was approx. $180, border $50, Bear $60, Bunny $60. Hmmm..

I am trying to think of everything. Oh the hamper was a bargain at JC Penney $20 and matches perfectly.

We had such a great time creating Kayla's nursery. Do what you can and plan accordingly. We knew that whatever furniture we picked out had to last through the years. I don't want to have to update her furniture every few years.

The must have in her rooms are "Diaper Champ" ($30)- holds the stinky diapers in but not as messy as the Diaper Genie and doesn't require special garbage bags. Also, the Diaper Depot ($15) which attaches to the changing table and holds, diapers, wipes, lotions etc. Love it.

Good luck and have fun with it. There are so many things you can do. New or used. The good thing about babies is all they need is love,hugs and a place to lay their heads down. The rest is just fun!

Jennifer
    Mom to Kayla Marie 10/29/01

• nikten
    22 years ago

I DID MY DD'S NURSERY IN TIGGER/POOH. WEGOT A JENNY LIND CRIB ON SALE AT SEARS FOR $99 AND I WENT RUMMAGING ALL LAST SUMMER AND FOUND A J.LIND CHANGING TABLE FOR $15!! WE GOT SOME FITTED SHEETS AT RUMMAGES ALSO. THE BEDDING SET WE GOT AT BABY SHOWER. WE PAINTED THE ROOM BLUE AND I PUT UP TIGGER STENCILS AND I FIGURE THAT WILL BE OKAY FOR HER UNTIL SHE IS OLDER AND THEN I DON'T HAVE TO REPAINT BECAUSE THE STENCILS AREN'T FOR ONLY A LITTLE BABY. WE HAD AN OLD DRESSER AND THAT IS NOW IN THE NURSERY. WE GOT THE DIAPER GENIE AT THE SHOWER ALSO. WE GOT A BABY CARRIER AT GOODWILL FOR $3.50 AND I DISINFECTED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND WE USE THAT FOR HER TO SIT IN, IN THE HOUSE (NOT FOR CAR RIDES!!). WE ALSO GOT A SWING AT A RUMMAGE FOR $15 AND IT'S KIND OF OLDER BUT THERE ARE NO RECALLS ON IT AND IT WORKS FINE. I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WOULD NEED FOR THE BABY AND DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND TOO MUCH IN CASE I DIDN'T NEED IT, SO I JUST LOOKED AT RUMMAGES AND GOODWILL. WE USE ALL THE ABOVE A LOT! THE CARRIER IS NICE BECAUSE IF SHE GETS POOPY PANTS OR SPITS UP I DON'T HAVE TO GET STUCK AT THE HOUSE UNTIL THE CAR SEAT COVER GETS DONE IN THE WASH. WE GOT A CD PLAYER FOR HER ROOM (ONSALE)AND WE USE THAT TO PLAY HER LULLABY MUSIC ON. I DIDN'T SEE ANY REASON TO BUY ONE SPECIAL FOR HER CRIB WHEN I COULD GET THAT ONE AND SHE CAN USE IT FOR A LONG TIME. I PROBABLY SOUND REALLY CHEAP AND I AM;) I SPENT ABOUT $200 OR SO ON HER NURSERY. IT LOOKS NICE AND ALL THE MAJOR THINGS WERE THERE AND READY BY THE TIME SHE GOT OUT OF THE BASSINET WHICH WE KEPT IN OUR ROOM (AND GOT FROM MY MIL, IT WAS MY DH'S WHEN HE WAS A BABY) AND INTO THE CRIB IN HER OWN ROOM. THE ONLY THING I BOUGHT NEW WAS THE BABY MONITOR AND I JUST BOUGHT THAT LAST WEEK. USED IS FINE FOR MOST OF THE THINGS AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE, DON'T HAVE ANY RECALLS, AND YOU CLEAN THEM REALLY GOOD.

• nadastimer
    22 years ago

Oh, Jennifer, we won't get mad for you buying everything. :)It's just that some people make you feel your a bad parent because you bought second hand or borrowed stuff. They give you these looks like, "Ewww, gross!" If someone is offering you something and it's something you can use and is decent, take it. We spend so much on baby stuff and many people have clothes that they're babies only wore once or twice and grew out of.Most of my second hand stuff came from my aunt and I know she takes care of her stuff and has nice clothes, so that was a good thing for me. But my one SIL tries to give me her son's clothes and most of them are stained, or tore or faded because she threw a rag with bleack on it in the wash with it, etc. If the person who's giving you the stuff doesnt' take care of things, you're better off to pass. I just wanted some of you to realize you don't have to buy all new. There are lots of great deals out there on used stuff and I love bargains! :-)

~Leslie~

• Mhousework
    22 years ago

Nikten,

How sweet that you used your dh's bassinet : ) I'd find a place for it in your daughter's room so that she can use it for her dolls, unless, of course, you have another baby : )

• michie1
    22 years ago

We decorated our daughter's nursery in very upscale furniture that will last a long time & bought the twin size headboard for later. The furniture is mission style in hmm, don't rmember the wood kind, but it's like a walnut with a hint of cherry color. We bought a double dresser, crib, twin headboard, glider with matching ottoman & armoire. That ran about $3,000.

Then to decorate I don't like cutesy baby things so my sister ordered me from Pottery Barn Kids a quilt with stars on it & matching bumper (I collect amish style quilts so this was perfect). I then purchased pik & whit eginghma dust ruffle, sheets, shower curtain which I used blk iron shower curtain hooks to hang off an wrought iron rod (they didn't at the time have a matching window curtain but the shower curtain was the same fabric & color).

SInce babies don't generally use a comforter I hung the quilt with blk iron curtain clips off of picture frame molding on one wall.

We had the whole room gutted & added new windows & everything else & painted the walls a beige with yellow undertones & the trim white & then got beige carpet in a similar beige tone.

Other accessories we purchased: floor lamp from Kmart, portable stereo, wicker hamper from Target. The best accessories though are 3 beige distressed shelves I ordered from a catalog & added old style toys (jumbo jacks, tin cup & saucer, horse pull toy...).

It's a beautiful room that's perfect for a little girl & also perfect for any young woman. No winnie the pooh or mickey for me.

• AmericanMom_in_theUK
    22 years ago

I can tell right now that my family is not in the same income bracket as Michie_1.....

No disrespect intended, but as pretty as that room sounds, all I could think of when I was reading that was... "Wow, that $3,000+ would have made a nice starter savings acct for our DS, to help pay for college later..."

Sponsored