Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to put in the 'hospital bag'?

Posted by bearcat_va (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 08 at 8:19

I was hoping you experts could help me compile a list of things to put in my hospital bag for myself and preparation for baby. Websites and books give so many versions of lists, I would have to bring a suitcase full of stuff if I followed all of it!

We got the car seat yesterday and plan to have it installed and inspected by the fire department next week. We are due on 5/7, but I have a feeling the baby will be a week or 2 early! Thanks for any help you can give :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to put in the 'hospital bag'?

Here are the things I remember.

We wee told in lamaze class to leave the good pj's at home. Use the hospital gowns so your stuff doesn't get ruined. I wore my pajamas anyway just because I wanted to.

It was also suggested not to bring an extra change of clothing to save room. Wear home what you wore there.

I would recommend bringing some good healthy snacks. You won't be allowed to eat for possibly several hours. Depending upon the local cafeteria, you may not get a good meal. Don't bring a lot of salty snacks, they could cause a lot of swelling.

Baby clothes - Bring something for pictures and a backup outfit or two. (Those newborn diapers always leak.) Whether you'll want more clothes than that depends on the hospital. The hospital my boys were born in allowed the babies to wear clothes from home. The hospital my dd was born in required the baby to be dressed in hospital clothes. Bring at least two receiving blankets for taking the baby home.

Good Luck and Congrats on the new baby!

o
RE: What to put in the 'hospital bag'?

The labor stage-- stop watch and pencil and pad for keeping track of contractions, sour lollipop to suck on, some friends have taken a deck of cards to while away the time, bed socks to keep feet warm in case it's cold, camera and film.

After--phone numbers and phone, nightgown, terry slippers (be sure whatever you bring is machine washable), robe, baby's clothes and hat and blanket for the return home, the car seat and little head stabilizer, roomy clothes to wear home (like early, smaller maternity clothes), extra panties, Preparation H, lotions, toothbrush and paste, any make up, brush and comb, diaper bag, nursing bra and pads, nipple guards just in case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here