Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new bottle nipples???

Posted by Nox225 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 02 at 2:53

I have all newborn nipples for my bottles (0-3months). My DD is almost 4 months now. She takes a bottle several times a week with no problem. Do I have to get new nipples for her age group? I know they have more hole the older they get. Is this really needed? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new bottle nipples???

I don't believe we did run out and get the bigger ones right away. I think over time we saw that the holes got a little bigger. We waited until the nipples were worn and needed replaced and then did it. I can't see the point in throwing out something that there was nothing wrong with.

~Leslie~

o

Nah, if she takes the newborn nipples then that's great - just continue with them. You'll be able to tell when DD is ready for a faster nipple. With my DD it was at 2 WEEKS! of age. She would suck the nipple flat and get frustrated because not enough was coming out. As long as your DD is satisfied I wouldn't switch. Too fast a nipple can cause air to get in the system which in turn leads to gas.

o

If you are breastfeeding, you really should always use a newborn nipple, because the flow more closely matches Mom. If you switch to a faster flow, baby may develop a preference for that over the breast.

o

Are you using the platex nursers or old fashion type bottles? For me, I used the platex nursers. You had to progress to the next size cause the nipple is bigger. Their mouths get bigger and can use a larger size nipple with that bottle system. Always pull the nipples to see if they are okay. I use to put mine in the dishwasher to sterilize. You would be surprised how the heat of the drying cycle can deteriorate the rubber. I had many come apart in my hand when I did the pull test. Good luck and God Bless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here