Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 month old & spitting up

Posted by jayme24baby (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 02 at 0:07

how much spitting up is normal?
DD will spit up even an hr. & a half after she eats and forget about laying her down...she seems to spit up all the time.
sometimes she'll even spit up and will just swallow it instead of spitting it out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 month old & spitting up

DS was a huge spitter-upper until he hit his 5th month and then one day it just stopped. I literally mean in one day too. He just woke up one morning and didn't throw up at all and hasn't ever since (well, okay, maybe a *little* but NOTHING like he did before that day!) Before, he'd spit up so much we'd have to change our shirt several times a day and change the sheets he slept on as well.

I was worried about it and brought it up with our pediatrician. She said that some babies just are spitter uppers and some aren't but almost all of them will mature out of it before they're 6 months or so. As long as the baby is gaining weight properly she said it's nothing to be concerned about.

o

Jayme, HI! Logan spits up a ton too, and as you know our babies are 1 day apart. He will spit up long after a feeding, also. My doctor said the same thing that Pam mentioned, as long as the baby is gaining weight they are not too concerned. Also, as long as the baby doesn't seem to be having any pain or discomfort that could suggest a sensitivity to something in your milk maybe. That was part of Logan's problem to, milk sensitivity. Once I cut that out of my diet he was fine, but still continues to spit up. We go through so many bibs each day!

Aspen

o

AspneE,
phoebe is allergic to milk too! i have cut that out of my diet weeks and weeks ago and she's better but still spits up a little.
do you miss it? do you have to cut out all milk products or just milk? i have to do the whole milk product (cheese, butter, ect.) and i miss it:)

o

I never even connected things till Aspen's message, but Tristan is allergic to milk too. He gets eczema when I drank milk so I stopped drinking it and his eczema is so much better. He did stop spitting up while I was still drinking milk, but maybe if I had stopped dairy products sooner it might have helped him stop spitting up earlier.

Jayme - I've had to cut out all dairy too and I miss it as well! I don't mind the taste of the vanilla soy milk or rice milk though - some brands aren't too bad. I also had something called "veggie slices" which tastes enough like that fake sliced American cheese that it helps when I want cheese. They aren't the world's greatest, but not bad.

Pam

o

Jayme and Pam,
I had to cut out all dairy as well, yogurt, pudding, cheese, sour cream you name it! I didn't realize how many things have dairy sources in them until I had to eliminate it out of my diet. I have gotten used to it though, and don't mind it too much. However, I do look forward to having a nice slice of cheese pizza or a large glass of milk! I haven't tried any of the soy products yet. I wonder if maybe our babies have extra sensitive stomachs and that is why they are all three allergic to milk and pretty big spitters? Something to consider I suppose.

Aspen

o

My baby is a major spitter too, but then it turned to vomitting. Finally, after being puked on one too many times we went to the doctor and they did this test at the hospital and DD has gastroesophegal (sp?) reflux. DD used to cry a lot, colicky, but now that she is on zantac it has all but stopped. She still spits up a little after every meal, but it is tons better. She'll be 3 months next week. Good luck!

o

alamogirl,
phoebe has reflux too and has been on tagament for about 4 wks. now but she still will spit up a bunch!
isn't weird that our little ones have reflux? before i had dd i had never heard of this and now it seems i hear it everywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here