SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_nc_gw

I need tips on beginning to wean a 10 mo old

Jill_NC
22 years ago

My DS is a happy, healthy 23+ lb 10 mo old little baby who has become QUITE the handful when nursing. He nurses well in the morning, when he first wakes up and it slowly goes downhill from there. I didn't have much luck trying to pump any b'milk at this stage, so I've given him an occasional cup of formula at mealtimes and he'll drink about 2-3 oz with his meal. I don't really offer it any other time. I should mention that I nurse him 1st thing in the morning (7:30 or so), then 11:30, then around 4 and then he'll nurse for comfort before he goes to bed. He's not nursing for very long at the last 2 feedings. He eats mostly babyfood, but has started to enjoy foods with taste--mashed potatoes, chicken soup, and he likes biscuit gravy (LOL). He does horribly with textures, but actually ate a couple Cheerios today! Progress!

My goal is to only nurse him in the morning and before bed, and then only 1x/day. I don't really have a time schedule, but I hate to admit that I don't enjoy b'feeding as much as I did when he was little. The morning & evening feedings are quiet, cuddle times...those I like!

Here are my questions:

-Do I need to worry, at this point, about exactly how much formula he's getting as he nurses less?

-Should I just continue to feed him on demand?

-How does the weaning thing work anyway??

Thanks, in advance, for any information!!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored