Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medication secreted in breast milk

Posted by bearcat_va (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 08 at 17:30

Hi, I'm new to this forum, although I have been active on other forums with gardenweb for years. I know this is a forum for infants, but there is no pregnancy forum where I can ask questions!

I'm expecting my first baby in early May and I have been taking Aldomet (methyldopa) for high blood pressure for 2 years. It is a "safe" (although who really knows) medication for pregnancy. It is secreted in breast milk, but all the sites I've researched say "probably safe" to breastfeed.

Did you/are you taking meds that are secreted into breast milk, and if so, did your doctor recommend not to breastfeed? I see the doc tomorrow, but 2 doctors have already given me conflicting opinions.

TIA for any light you can shed on the subject!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medication secreted in breast milk

You might want to check with your local la leche chapter, public health nurse or breast feeding clinic. At the hospital where you will be delivering will have all the contact numbers. ( Sometimes you will not get a straight answer since it is unethical to test meds on pregnant/lactating women. )
You will find these places a great resource for most breastfeeding questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here