Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two week check-up and b/f update

Posted by Jen_C (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 02 at 14:16

I'd like to start by saying thanks for everyone's words of encouragement on my crying to sleep post. They really helped me to stop beating myself up. Things are going much better for us. In fact, we went to her 2 week check-up yesterday and the dr. said I was doing too good of a job (said with a smile!) My little girl was born at 7 lbs-12oz, left the hospital at 7 lbs-3 oz, and weighed in at 8 lbs-13 oz at 12 days old!!! That's a gain of 2.5 oz/day and he said they hope to see 0.5-1 oz/day! Yeah! So, he told me not to worry about waking her to eat every 3 hours b/c she's past that point and to let her decide when she's hungry! My lactation consultant agreed and assured me DD would wake and let me know when she was hungry!!!

Since then, things have gone so smoothly! Yes, she was up wide awake from 10-midnight last night, but then she slept peacefully through the night until 9:30 this morning (waking on her own to eat after no more than 3.5 hours at a time, then falling back to sleep). Let's hope last night was not just a fluke!!!

Thanks again everyone. I feel so much more relaxed now, and I'm pretty sure DD can tell.

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two week check-up and b/f update

Congratulations! It sounds like your daughter is gaining weight very well. My babies always fattened up really quick, too. They were both over their birth weight by the 2 week check-up, much to the amazement of their doctors.

And congratulations on the sleep, too. I'm glad she's figured out that night-time is for sleeping. It makes a big difference, doesn't it! :)

Mary

o

Jen,

That is great! See, things do get better!! ;-)

o

Great, Jen! I wrote a note at the bottom of your crying-to-sleep thread about the "every 2 hours" "rule"--I got myself in hysterics bcs my baby ate every 4 hours (and my lactation instructor had said "feed them every 2 hours). Like clockwork; you could set your watch by this baby. And she gained and gained and gained. And slept and slept and slept. And ate and ate and ate--every 4 hours.

I wish people would stop pushing that "rule" as a hard-and-fast thing you MUST achieve and instead use it to warn moms to be prepared and not to panic if those closely spaced feedings happen. And instead teach moms to rely on the TRUE signals:
can your baby tell you she's hungry?
do you feel your breasts get full of milk before a feeding, and then feel softer after a feeding?
can you see or hear your baby suck and swallow?
how are diapers?
is it clear your baby is sated when she's done eating?

All those things, and others, are MUCH more valuable guidelines than "babies need to eat every 2-3 hours, day and night."

Congrats on that long night-time sleep. That's also a sign that she's getting plenty to eat and growing well--she has the physical stamina and the caloric reserves to hold out until morning. And that long sleep will actually help her grow, as well.

My baby slept 8 hours at a stretch when home from the hospital, and never stopped. I had to shift the timing of her sleep to be more mommy-friendly (enough of 3am to 11am!). But a good, long, healthy sleep is certainly possible even at this young age.

Nothing like a little experience to make us relax, huh?

Happy baby!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here