SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
americanmom_in_theuk

Baby constipation

Hi everyone.... My son is just under 6 months old. He has been a great eater (and grower!) ever since birth - he's just over 19 lbs and 27 inches long right now. A couple months ago, my breastmilk started to dry up naturally - not by choice! So, I was forced to supplement with formula and rice cereal/baby food. He's got a great appetite, and LOVES to try new things, especially fresh fruits. I make sure he has plenty of water/juice and still breastfeed him when I have enough milk.

Now, I knew that when I started him on other things besides breastmilk, the consistency and quality of his diapers would change. And BOY did it! (whew!) But recently, no matter how much liquid and fresh fruits I give him, in addition to his regular feedings, he is constipated. He's had some really hard poop, and he has to strain to pass it sometimes. Mixing prunes in has helped, as has switching from a regular iron formula, to a low iron formula. But still, he struggles with constipation. The doc has suggested a laxative, which I REALLY want to avoid, if at all possible.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored