Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
constipated breast fed babe

Posted by mollyjanea (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 06 at 13:45

my daughter's 3 week old is constipated and having painful bm's despite mom's healthy diet and successful nursing. babe has no other issues. any ideas? thanks, mja in ri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: constipated breast fed babe

How do you know she is constipated? It is rare for an infant who is breastfed to become constipated. If she truly is, there may be something else wrong and you should seek professional help.

o

Breastfed babies can have bm's as infrequently as once a week. And it is common for babies to make faces and cry while having a bm - that doesn't mean that they are constipated, though. I went around and around on this with my mother-in-law when my son was young. She was from an era of feeding babies canned milk and corn syrup mixture, thought babies had to have bm's every day or they were constipated. Not saying that is you - but just that a 3 week old baby that is nursing successfully would have a hard time being truly constipated. At 3 weeks old - however - it is important for the baby's sake that any and all concerns should be directed to the baby's pediatrician. ~ Suzie

o

actually, it was my dd thinking her babe was constipated, i told her what you folks told me! lol, should've said that earlier i suppose...she has been to pedi and was assured that all is well. thanks for your concern and sorry i wasn't more clear. mj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here