Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you use Vaseline?

Posted by Bad_Wife (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 02 at 12:53

I was given 3 LARGE containers of Vaseline at my shower. I read somewhere you shouldn't use that to prevent diaper rash. So, what do I do with 3 jars of it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you use Vaseline?

It's great if you have rough, dry feet - put some on after a shower and wear cotton socks - your feet will feel much softer. Don't put it between your toes though, it feels uncomfortable.

o

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say, I'll put it on my feet before I go to sleep and then sleep with the socks on and when I wake up, nice soft feet.

Recenlty my son has had a real runny nose, and I've put a little there to keep it from hurting so bad, but that's certainly not going to take up 3 containers of it...

o

If your baby gets a runny nose or stuffed nose and it dries they say to put vaseline on there to get the dry crusties off easier. Also can use on thermometer if doing a rectal temp. You can put it on really dry hands and then wear cotton gloves too. Lip balm too.

o

Why can't you use it to prevent diaper rash? The only thing I've ever read is not to use it to treat diaper rash.

o

You can use Vaseline. Here are some good uses:

1) If you have a boy and if you have him circumsized, vaseline is commonly used as part of the healing process
2) Use it as a moisture barrier to prevent diaper rash
3) Use it if you or baby has a cold and the inside and outside of your nose gets dry
4) Use for taking rectal temperature for baby
5) Dry skin patches

o

Here's a useless (and disgusting) fact for you:

The guy that invented Vaseline used to eat a spoonful of it every day to maintain "good health". Shudder...

o

I did use it on my son's circ. Also, now that he is drooling, he gets redness on his chin. My ped told me I could use some vasaline on his chin to prevent that. I use it for dry patches of skin on him too. I still have a ton of it left.

o

Vaseline is actually the best thing you can use to prevent rash. It should not be used when yeast is the suspected cause of an existing rash, however. Vaseline in the only thing I used on my son to prevent rashes...

o

We always used Vaseline, and lots of it when DD was a baby...

o

Do you have pets? You can use vaseline as hairball treatment/preventer for cats.

o

I personally refuse to use any petroleum product on my daughter, that includes vaseline and most baby lotions (they have mineral oil in them). SHe has very sensitive skin, like I do, and breaks out in little bumps. I still haven't decided what to do with all the vaseline I got at my shower, either.

o

Mere - will cats just eat it?

Our long haired flabby tabby needs some help!

o

Kara,
To be honest, I haven't tried it before. I've just read that it is basically the same thing as commercial hairball formula, just minus the flavoring. If you smear it on their paw, I'm sure they'll lick it off, just because cats don't like to be dirty, although I can't imagine that it would taste too good. I just have heard people say that it works and it's safe for the cat.

o

Nothing to do with infants, but if you ever make stepping stones you could use it to lubricate the molds with.

o

Can you return one of the jars to say Wal-mart in exchange for something you really can use? They are good about things like that as long as the package is unopened.

o

I know this is completely off the original subject.

Kara - another things you can use as a hairball treatment is corn oil. Put a little in a spoon and let the cat lick it off. My cat loves it.

o

Keeping up with the OT, Kara you can also smear some butter or margarine on their paw for the same results.

o

Thanks for the tips. Sunshinegirl, I tried returning the unopened jars to THREE different stores, and they were all a no-go. Can't say I blame them. Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately, I don't have a cat (allergic!), LOL!

o

As a teen in the 1950s-60s, I used vaseline to shine my black patent leather shoes and purse.

o

Massage into baby's scalp if he has cradle cap, let it soak in a while, and then shampoo. It will loosen the cap.

o

My friend is married to an African and they have 3 beautiful children together (I think that bi-racial kids are the cutest!). They use vaseline as lotion on the kids because it's really good at moisturizing the skin. It feels a little greasy, but after they wake up the next morning, they are SO soft and cuddly!

o

Vaseline is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest eye make up remover!!!

o

This is an old thread, but let me just add my 2 cents.

I would donate them to a women's shelter. Since they're unopened I bet they'd be glad to take them.

I know it is hard to use this stuff up and I do the dry hands/cotton gloves, dry heels/cotton socks, outside of nose red from the tissue, dry lips.

Other suggestions along the same lines: corners of mouth before the dentist - mine tend to break due to the stretch. And also (hope I don't gross anyone out): I have used vaseline on a cotton bud to clean my belly button real well. Any lotion will work of course or rubbing alcohol.

Maria,
Mom to HarA (Joy) 6 mo

o

belly button cleaning, eh? hmmmmmm... never thought of that.. hahah.. I'll have to give that a whirl.. :P

o

Had to post this. Vaseline should never be placed inside the nose. It goes to the lungs if used alot. This was in the doctors office when it was cold season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here