Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SEX & another baby

Posted by Sandy_Z (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 02 at 11:27

When did everyone begin to have sex after the baby came? My husband and I started when baby was only 3 weeks old. My doctor said it was okay as long as we were both into it. My son is now just over a month old. We both want more kids. How long did you wait before having your next baby? I miss being pregnant and would get pregnant right away again, but I just want some other opinions. Thanks

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SEX & another baby

sex? gosh, we waited till about 5 wks. and it hurt really bad. did anyone else have this problem? dd is 11 wks. now and it is still a little uncomfortable. will this get better? sounds like you didn't have any problems, huh?

o

I had the same thing, pain! We didn't have sex till about 7 or 8 weeks. You need to give your body time to heal. JMO, but I don't think it's a good idea to start w/ another child either, you're body actually takes a full year to heal and recover from pregnancy and childbirth. Also, if you have another child right away you're taking time away from the 1st one, this happened w/ my BIL and SIL, now the child acts up, wanting attention all the time and he has a bad temper. She got pg 3 mo after him. We want another child too but we've decided to wait till he's about 2. Jayme24baby, after about the 3rd month the pain will go away. I know what you mean, I couldn't remember this w/ my 1st, had her about 8 yrs ago, but w/ ds I remember well.

Isabella 4/8/94
Johnny 7/18/01

o

Right now another baby seems so easy to handle, but you haven't gotten into the other baby stages yet. I'm really glad I waited and dealt with the mobile stage and the terrible two's before having another one. I personally wouldn't want to have kids too close together because I want to be able to spend lots of time with my son before I had another infant to deal with. My MIL also always says about how she wishes her 2nd and 3rd children weren't so close together. They're about 1 1/2 and my sweetie is the youngest. MIL said she was so busy keeping the middle one out of stuff, she really forgets what the youngest looked like as a baby or the things he did. She and I talked about this all a lot and I saw how much it hurt her to not really get to enjoy one before the second came along. That helped me with my decsion a great deal. My son is almost 3 and we'll be having the 2nd sometime in the next year or so.

~Leslie~

o

oh I can't imagine! I hated being pregnant but I do love my little bb. I had sex at 4 weeks I think (maybe 5) and yes it was more than a little uncomfortable but all didn't go away for about 6 months or so. I want to wait until my baby is about a year and a half to start on anther. Being pregnant was so hard for me that having to take care of a baby and be pregnant isn't going to be easy. I'd definately recommend waiting because like one of the above posters said, being prego is really hard on your body but then you are alot younger than me, I'm in my 30's

e

o
My thoughts

We waited until close to 4 weeks. I had a c-section, so I didn't think the experience was any different than before. Sandy, I can totally relate to you. My baby is only 2 1/2 months and I would LOVE to have another one. I am sure the above posters are all correct in their advice, though I can't help but miss being pregnant too! This seems weird to even say because I had a very rough pregnancy, very rough labor, c-section, and for the first 4 weeks of DS's life I had some other medical issues come up that were not related to the pregnancy. In spite of all that I still miss it...I am glad he is here but I am excited for another baby. We will be waiting though for many reasons. Number 1 is that I want to get my body completely back into good shape. I want to maintain my healthy weight for awhile before gaining again. I want to be on prenatals for a while to replenish any vitamin stores that my last pregnancy might have diminished. I want to spend time with my current DS and not miss ANYTHING. I also want some time with my husband. We got pregnant two months after we were married, so we haven't had much time together. I think we will probably start trying sometime in a year or so. We'll have to see how things go. Best of luck to you. I am sure you and your husband will make the decision that is best for your family.

Love,
Aspen

o

Hi there,we waited 2 weeks. My DH wants to try for another baby now. Our DS is 6 weeks old!!!!! I DONT THINK SO!

o

We waited the full six weeks, I really wasn't in any hurry. And yeah, it hurt like heck. We've since started using the natural family planning method of natural child spacing so we got to ditch the condoms and that helped ease the pain. Sheesh, those stupid condoms hurt bad even with a ton of lube. :-X

I'm in no hurry to get pg again... I was sooooooo sick, I had all day sickness from week two and right on through labor (I threw up every half hour during my 30 hour labor!) Anyway, but do what feels right for you! There are benefits to having babies close together, but benefits to having them spaced a few years too.

good luck!
Jae

o

We had sex again at 6 weeks. I had had a c-section and the pressure wouldn't feel great!

I have a 3 1/2 month old and although I hated being pregnant, I want another baby soon too. I'm thinking trying over the summer. I was warned by a friend that although it seems so easy now, as soon as they start walking and crawling, it's going to be 100x harder and that may be difficult with a full belly. Also, she said, the first baby could be easy (like mine is) and the second could be colicy, etc. It could be impossible to have one colicy newborn and another just starting to walk- both in diapers! So, think really hard about it! LOL

o

I didn't want to have sex until I stopped bleeding and that didn't stop until 8 weeks! God I'm glad that's over with. So that's when we had sex and it hurt a little. I definately need to do more kegels because I can't "grip" like I used to.

This was my first baby and my OB/GYN told me to wait a year before getting pregnant again. He said less time then that is too hard on your body. I had a relatively easy pregnancy and an easy delivery (no drugs) and I love my son more than anything, but I'm not in a rush to have another.

o

Thanks gals! My friend came over yesterday with her 9 month old. He is just beginning to crawl etc. I think I have changed my mind. I would love another baby, but I can wait! I think I will wait until DS is at least a year old before we try again. I know I am going to miss the baby phase though!

One more question: What is your pain like with sex? Is it like a burning sensation? Mine is. Reminds me of the baby crowning!!! HA! Let me know.

Sandy

o

I had a section and started at week 6. My doctor threatened me to behave myself since my uterous hadn't dropped yet. So I listened.

Kayla is now 13 weeks and we are going to try for baby #2 in August. My doctor suggested a full year to heal, but any time after 6 months is okay to start trying. If it was earlier I would probably be guaranteed another c-section.

o

I first had sex at 4 weeks. I also had a c-section and no pain. My son is now 5 months old and I am 2 months pregnant with #2. I am very happy they will be close together and have no regrets so far. My OB says everything should be fine. In fact her kids are only 15 months apart. I will have a repeat c-section. My babies will be 1 year apart. I took care of my sister's 3 kids while I was pregnant before, so I don't think it will be hard taking care of my 1 while I am pregnant this time. I will raise my babies like they are twins. Sharing time with both of them equally. Hopefully they will be best friends their whole lives. Do what is right for you. I am looking forward to it.

o

With each of our three children, we had sex 4 weeks post partum. I have easy pregnancies and wanted our children to be close in age, so we started trying for another right away. However, it took us 12 - 18 months to conceive again (probably due to breastfeeding), so our children are all a couple of years apart in age.

o

I think we waited 6 weeks. However, I got pregnant with #4 when #3 was only 4 months old. Stunned? No I was more like SHOCKED!! Of course, my little angels are now 2 and 3 years old and it is the best thing I've ever done. People thought I was crazy (heck, I thought I was crazy), but they are great playmates and I can change diapers and feed both of them at the same time. Of course it was a huge help that my other kids are old enough to help out (they are now 8 and 10). However, I did have dh "fixed" while I was still pregnant with #4. No sense in being completely insane.

o

We waited just a couple of weeks. I was leary, because I had heard friends say how bad it hurt right away. It did not hurt for me, but I was uncomfortable at first having sex with my boobs leaking everywhere. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here