Return to the Parents of Infants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gentian Violet for thrush...anyone have experience?

Posted by Shelby_Elsa (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 02 at 9:57

I have read so many horror stories about gentian violet that I am nervous about actually using it. Whe I picked up the prescription the pharmacist came up tpo me and told me that it was very poisonous and I need to discard of it immediately after use so that my son doesnt get to it...she also stressed not to let Elsa swallow it. Hello? she is 3 months old, am I supposed to tell her to swish it around and spit it out? The poor thing has been taking nystatin 4 times a day since Christmas and it still hasn't gone away. And I think it really bothers her sometimes. I also have been using the nystatin cream on my nipples and it still hasn't gone away. The doc told me that I could give her this one time or give her diflucan for 3xa day for 2 weeks and I decided to go with the gentian violet. Does it really work and for how long does it stain the lips? I feel so horrible giving it to her after all I have read but the poor thing is definitely suffering from the itchies...

Please follow up and fill me in with your experiences with this strange medication!

Shelby'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gentian Violet for thrush...anyone have experience?

we have thrush, too...lol. Timberly's quite a bit older (getting close to 9 months), and we're on nystatin, too (just started it Tuesday). I asked my mom about the gentian violet (she used to work in peds) and she said that's what they used way back when before nystatin (which Timberly's using right now)...There were a few people on this board who recommended it, and if my mom would use it, I think it would be okay...your comment about it being there since Christmas does NOT make me feel good! UGH!

o

Well, when DS got thrush, we used the diflucan. It was 3 times a day for 2 weeks, but it cleared it up in 2 days, and he loved the flavor of it, so it was like a treat for the rest of the two weeks. My ped. actually told me that no one even used gentain violet anymore because it was so ineffective compared to the newer treatments.

Alissa

o

I would carry that gentian violet straight outside to the trash!!! I am the mother of 3 precious children ages 4, 2, and 10 months old. I breast fed all 3 and struggled with several ordeals with thrush. My first experience with thrush led us to using nystantin 4times/day for 10 days, boiling pacifiers like mad, using nystantin cream on my nipples and praying to God this junk would hurry up and respond to the treatment. We proceeded through 2 rounds of nystantin (that is 20 days of misery) before our pedi suggested gentian violet. That stuff may be effective but it is so absolutely messy and horribly staining to the poor babies mouths, teeth, and anything their drool touches that it didn't take me long to say forget it. The good news is this. Call your pediatrician and have them call you in diflucan as fast as they can. You will see a difference in a day or two. I later asked why they didn't just prescribe diflucan to begin with and they stated that some insurances would not cover it and that it can be expensive. After 20 plus days of thrush, I would have paid whatever it costed, but thankfully my insurance covered it. Two years later while nursing my 3rd child, thrush struck again. I once again had to start off with nystantin then insisted that they call me in diflucan. They did. Anyway best of luck to you. In closing I will say that gentian violet was/is an old timey treatment for oral trush, but praise the lord that we have modern medicine.

o

Gentian violet is called that for a reason. It is a stain. First off, that can be messy but doesn't have to be a problem. Another thing is that it can cause rash reactions in people. Normally, that's not a problem but if you or anyone in your family has sensitive or 'allergic' skin you may not want to use gentian violet.

Everything that will be used to kill living microorgansms can have really bad effects on larger living organisms (parents and babies for instance). It is really important not to use too much, and it is really important to keep such products locked up and totally off limits from the baby. That should be the same for nystatin, or diflucan, or gentian violet, or rubbing alcohol and detergents for that matter.

Talk to the doctor who recommended it about how to use it for your baby's mouth. No, they can't swish but you might be able to use a swab to get the stuff where the colonies area. It might be enough for you to apply it to your nipples and then have your baby feed as usual. Basically, if you had a medical professional advise you that you could use it, then they should be able and willing to give you more clear advice about _how_ they meant for you to use it.

talk to your doctor about how or whether to dilute it and how they meant for it to be used; the other stuff has more compiled safety profile data in humans

o

I vote for nystatin as that is what we use in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. It works really well. Put some on a q-tip and have the baby suck it or swish it all over the baby's mouth. It tastes cherry flavor and the babies usually really like the taste. Also watch the baby's bum, perineal area because that end might need some nystatin cream as well. Wash your hands thoroughly after changing diapers and don't use soothers when a baby has thrush.

o

I'm really surprised at some of the information out there. So let's set some things straight. For legal reasons, let's just say I'm a medical professional.

1. Gentian is NOT poisonous. I would not trust a pharmacist who tells you as much. It should not be swallowed just as toothpaste should not, but you wouldn't say toothpaste is a poison.
2. nystatin, diflucan are good meds but when you get a headache you don't start with a prescription. These meds should be used after basic remedies fail.
3. Reality is that Genation Violet cost a couple of dollars and can resolve your problem, and a business would prefer to sell you something with a higher profit margin.
4. Different professional org recommend a specific med, but you should refer to #'s 2&3. Also keep in mind they assume you have tried the basics and now need something stronger. Think of it this way a dermatologist isn't going to recommend you wash your face for the treatment of acne, but we all understand that is something basic that needs to be done.
Good Luck

o

I used gentian violent 1% on my 3 month old baby about a week ago. She had ,had thrush for 2 months. The dr gave her diflucan 1st then when she took that for a month and it didn't help he added nystatin. She was taking medicine 6 times a day and it wasn't helping. I was nervous about usuing the gentian violent because I had heard all of the horrer stories. But I got tired of my baby crying from pain and couldn't eat so I tried it. Within 3 days her thrush was gone. If you have any doubt trust me it works. It was a life saver. The only thing it says do not ingest so I would put vasoline on her chin so it wouldn't stain and take all her clothes off. Then i would get a clean washcloth and dry her mouth out and put in on her tongue with a Qtip. She didn't swallow any and it didn't stain anything other than her tongue.

o

I don't see how you can possibly use this for babies without wiping out your house. I really feel for you mothers who have tried this on your babies. Too bad they don't make Nystatin dispensing pacifers. But I can say, I am an adult. I have a compromised immune system (not AIDS or anything, a serious of unfortunate events in my case). Myclex wafers do not work on me. Nystatin (sp) does not work on me. They have been used so many times on me so many times that I am like a person who has been over prescribed antibiotics, they simply do not work. One course of Diflucan does not work. It takes two full courses to do anything plus I get a vag. yeast infection with it. My doctor says with any medication overused you can suddenly develop an allergic reaction or it can become ineffective so we try to stay away from Diflucan. We are saving it for a rainy day so to speak. Also since my immune system in compromised, it is not good to use systemic treatments like Diflucan when not necessary. Gentian Violet gives me relief. My way of applying is as follows: I wear all black. I coat my entire lower face in a thick layer of Vaseline, I take a cheap lipstick (so I can see what I covered) that I don't like and coat my front teeth and I swish and gargle with it until I can't stand it anymore and spit it directly into the outdoor trash can with a liner in it. No the lipstick does not completely stop my teeth from being stained but it helps a little bit. For me, the burning of thrush immediately stops, the feeling of my teeth being stuck to my checks with yeast instantly stops. It is not a miracle cure. Humco who makes it charges a fortune. I try to eat as much yogurt as possible in the days following it to restore any natural balance I can.

o

Don't know if the nystatin for kids is mild or not; but I was prescribed it for thrush & I'm 70, (I had chemo). Swish around & swallow they said. I did this 4 times a day for 2 days. I found my heart began beating rapidly, (very rapidly). A side effect not too much advertised. I now swish & spit. Be careful & read the info supplied.

o

I used nystatin and it did not work n my daughter, so I got a bottle of genatin violet, painted her tongue with it a few times with a q tip and with in a few days her thrush was gone. I am about to do it again because my newborn has it. Why go to the dr for a prescription when I can spend a few bucks and cure the problem myself?

o

I am not sure what the horror stories are? possible allergic reactions? I am a mother and grandma and I have worked in a peds clinic. It is an old drug with many uses,and is harmless if used correctly. It works fast and effective in even the worst cases of oral thrush. I recommend you call your pediatrician b4 starting any treatment,and always follow their instructions first and foremost, however with their approval here are steps in treating. 1.strip your child down to his/her diaper or use clothing you don't mind throwing away to protect the skin from stains. 2. apply vaseline to the chin,and chest if no shirt is on, again to protect against staining. 3. use a cotton tipped applicator, sparingly dipped in the g/v (to prevent baby from swallowing) and swab the infected areas. You can apply 1 to 2 times daily,usually after 3 days it will clear, if no signs of clearing up after 3 days or worsening of symptoms occurs,stop using and call your Doctor. I would try this first b4 going to precription meds. Good luck, and God bless.

o

Please be aware that Gentian Violet has been linked to cancer by an australian study. It has also been said to have mercury. Dr. Sears talks about it on his website.

I am on round two of Nystatin. It did disappear the first time but came back and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Don't know which is the lesser of the two evils for baby - Diflucan or GV..

o

My roe month old has had thrush for about 3 weeks now. Te doctor prescribed nystatin but it did nothing. I think I'll use GV this time. They now sell clear GV, so it doesn't stain.

o

Clear gentian violet? Do you have a reference (brand name, link, etc.)? It's my understanding that the violet dye is what does the work, so a clear compound would be something completely different.

For good information about thrush (candida albicans) look at Dr. Jack Newman's website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newman Breastfeeding Clinic

o

I think it works wonder its very messy but works good I use a quit tip and put on the areas of her mouth was infected and then took a guze and wiped the saliva in her mouth to make sure she don't swallow much but did the job and also I feed her plain yogurt .. I say try it just put a little amount on th quit tip ... Good luck

o

My son has been fighting thrush for 2 months. He is 5 months old. All the Dr gives him is nystatin and it works but within a day or two the spots come back. I have OCD so I have no problem sanatizing all his things. We finally decided to try GV today. I applied with a Qtip. There was very little mess and he was happier within 5min afterward then I've seen him in weeks.

o

My son has been fighting thrush for 2 months. He is 5 months old. All the Dr gives him is nystatin and it works but within a day or two the spots come back. I have OCD so I have no problem sanatizing all his things. We finally decided to try GV today. I applied with a Qtip. There was very little mess and he was happier within 5min afterward then I've seen him in weeks.

o

o
thrush

I need really good advice! My baby is now 4 months and has had thrush since he was only 3 weeks. I've tried just about everything I know. Nystatin, gention violet, vinegar water, baking soda water, those things just don't work. And I wash my nipples after each feeding and apply clotrimazole cream. I'm also using probiotics with 42 billion active cells per capsule 3 capsules a day, and I've been giving baby some as well. My daughter had the exact same problem and delt with it for over a year then we went to Mexico for vacation and I saw a doctor there and he gave me metronidazole for her, 3 weeks of that and her thrush was gone. But the docs here in Canada won't give anything but Nystatin. Can anyone help me?

o
thrush

I need really good advice! My baby is now 4 months and has had thrush since he was only 3 weeks. I've tried just about everything I know. Nystatin, gention violet, vinegar water, baking soda water, those things just don't work. And I wash my nipples after each feeding and apply clotrimazole cream. I'm also using probiotics with 42 billion active cells per capsule 3 capsules a day, and I've been giving baby some as well. My daughter had the exact same problem and delt with it for over a year then we went to Mexico for vacation and I saw a doctor there and he gave me metronidazole for her, 3 weeks of that and her thrush was gone. But the docs here in Canada won't give anything but Nystatin. Can anyone help me?

o
thrush

o
thrush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents of Infants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here