Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ex husband's new habit smoking cigars

Posted by Runninghorse (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 01 at 23:18

It seems that my ex husband who once was so health concious is now addicted to smoking cigars. My main concern is that he smokes them in front of my son age 5. When we were married he had always boasted about how horrible smoking is and would ask guests to please smoke outside. I know if I try to talk to him, it will start an argument about how I'm trying to manage his life or something. He is very unreasonable. My only other solution is to keep enforcing with my son how bad it is for a person's health. Any suggestions other than talking with my son about health risks? I also worry about my son having to breathe it at his dad's home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ex husband's new habit smoking cigars

I just read that it doesn't even matter if you smoke outside--second-hand smoke releases microscopic particles that stick to your hair and clothing like dust. Once you come inside, any movement releases those particles into the air, to be inhaled by your son and giving him a four times higher chance of getting lung cancer. The fact your husband smokes inside with your son is even worse and gives him even greater health risks for not just cancer but also asthma, bronchitis, and irritated eyes, throat and coughing.

But it sounds like your ex is more into a power struggle with you than worrying about your son's or his own health. You might want to mention this to him in a non-confrontational way and say the only real loser in a power struggle between the two of you is your son.

If that doesn't work, then you need to teach your son to deal with the problem. If Dad won't smoke outside, tell your son he should go outside when dad lights up. Won't solve all the health problems but will at least lessen them a bit. Your son is in a no-win situation right now and it's too bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here