Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
estranged from children

Posted by chichilover (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 19:18

Does anyone write about this subject anymore? I was reading a few old posting from 2007 last night and wasn't able to get through the whole list. I'm a grieving parent with these troubles and it's hard to find a forum for this subject. Thanks for any feedback!! If this is the place to be, I'll share my sad story.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: estranged from children

Someone wrote on a previous forum: "My problem with my adult daughter began when she started seeing a therapist. I'm not sure if it was the therapy process itself or if the therapist embraces the blame-the-parents dogma--all I know is that my relationship with my daughter has dramatically changed." I have the same problem, although it had started before and the therapy seem to exacerbate it. My daughter's stepfather was emotionally abusive to her, and she hates him but now, after I finally left him, it has become my fault, that I let her be in that situation. She wants to have a relationship with me but is so angry that it is impossible to have a decent conversation with her without watching every little word I say. I made choices which I now regret with all my heart and I have apologized and expressed all I can, but she cannot let go of the anger. She is well into her 30s and I fear that her whole life will be ruined because of this inability to take responsibility now for her adult life. I have to let go of the guilt and the heartbreak, but I wish I knew how to help her.

o
RE: estranged from children

"My daughter's stepfather was emotionally abusive to her, and she hates him but now, after I finally left him, it has become my fault, that I let her be in that situation. She is well into her 30s and I fear that her whole life will be ruined because of this inability to take responsibility now for her adult life."

If she is getting counseling then it sounds like she is taking responsibility for her life.

How long did the emotional abuse last? Were you aware of it while it was occurring?

Do you think there ought to be a time limit on how long it should take her to 'get over it'?

Perhaps the 'problem' is that she doesn't feel she can trust you to protect her?

She is an adult now. She can call her own shots and decide who she wants as friends. Why not work from this premise and give her all the time she needs to heal? Like a friend would...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here