SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lunamoon_gw

How do I explain to my 6 year old...

lunamoon
16 years ago

Here's the situation..... DH and I have been seperated since April. We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. I left him because he was verbally and emotionally abusive. Things were fairly ok between he and I until Ocotber. Then one weekend when the kids were with him he disappeared with them. I went to his house when I couldn't get him on the phone and found their clothes and anything of value was gone. The electricty and water was turned off and the pipes were drained. It was obvious they weren't planning on coming back anytime soon. I had to go to court and get an emergency order for sole custody so that the police could look for them since taking your own children somewhere isn't a crime. He wound up taking them to Florida and came back on his own after about a week. While they were gone he cut our 6 year olds long hair up above her ears and shaved his head (his hair was half way down his back) and they played a "game" where they had different names. The kids just thought they went on vacation. He said he did it to "teach me a lesson." Since then I have not let him see the kids unsupervised which has made him pretty upset. Last week there was another much worse incident. He forced me to go to his house and held me at gunpoint threatening to kill both of us. This is the first time his behavior has ever escalated to anything physical. So, now I have a restraining order which says that he must stay away from both me and the kids. He is also in jail, thankfully. So, my question is, how do I explain to my 6 year old (the 2 year old is too young at this point) why she cannot see or talk to her father. I obviously don't want to say anything negative to her about him but I am at a loss as to what to say. She hasn't asked about seeing him yet as it has only been a week but she is a very thoughtful and inqusitive kid who is sure to ask a lot of questions. Has anyone ever been through anything similar who can offer some advice? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments (26)

Sponsored