SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missred_gw

Need Advice on 7 yr olds Bossy Playmate

missred
15 years ago

My daughter(A) has a friend(B) at school. They've been friends since K and are now in 2nd grade in different classes, which is a relief. Except, that B still manages to push 'A''s buttons whenever she can. 'A' is very well rounded, friendly, well liked, 'B' comes from a shaky home (single mom with financial & relationship issues who shares her adult problems with her daughter- not good). Other than that, 'B' is actually a likable child, smart but, a little too 'mature' for her age. And bossy.

Our problem, as of late is an issue with 'B' taking 'A's lunch and using friendship as a leverage. (If you don't give me... then I won't be your friend). But, not just with lunch-- it extends into sharing of everything, borrowing randomly, hiding things when she doesn't get her way or just stealing. It's ridiculous.

They recently had a mounting verbal dispute at school where my daughter finally said all those things: "you take my lunch, you borrow my stuff, you steal, you're mean, then you're my friend...!!" So, she's fed up. The school staff had to get involved and she came home crying. Which breaks my heart. We had a conversation about standing up for herself and making the choice wether or not to stay friends.

We spoke with mom in the past about other issues (inappropriate touching 'games' with adult language, etc.) and she seems clueless like it's just some big hippy lovefest and all kids do this. I'm not buying it. We're liberal folks but, this is too much.

We need some ideas on how to approach this tactfully.

They go to a small school with a tight student body and staff so, being discreet and respectful is the most important.

Since staff has already gotten involved would it be safe to have a meeting with a neutral party? Or should we just take it up again with mom? Alone?

Anyone else go through this?

We don't want to corner mom but, she needs to know what's going on and maybe her kid needs some therapy for all the adult issues she's dealing with. But, how do you tell someone this??

Any helpful tips to an open path would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz