SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

argh my autistic son

diggerb2
15 years ago

i just need to vent a bit, but i'm looking for suggestions to.

i have a a set of 20 yr old autistic twin boys.both are high functioning and number one would be aspergers except for a few minor diagnostic criteria

number one is in a great program for job training to bridge from high school to real world. he has the ability to do the work, the skills to do the work but stymies us with

impulse issues. he can identify (afterwards) that his actions are wrong.

we think they are going to ask us to have him leave the program at our review next week. and can not honestly blame the people for making the request.

the work skill he needs to learn is to work unsupervised for at least an hour without snooping in other employees

belongings/offices. this week he snooped thru everyone's lunches and decided to eat a bag of pretzels out of someone's (i know that this can be an issue for normal people in offices but that's another ball of wax) he just

keeps not respecting other people's space/belongings.

what to do, what to do, what to do.

the biggest problem with this is that it's a trait that has been with him since 2nd grade. almost every year its an issue in iep's and at grading time.

i guess over the years we've overlooked this limitation, because he can do so well in so many other ways; and when

watched carefully enough, is able to overcome this issue as well. in so many other ways we've worked so hard and so long at self regulation, but here he won't accept responsibility for his actions. its just so disappointing.

i'm really slipping into a funk about this (more meds for my

depression)as i suddenly face up to his limitations.

so what do we do?

1st impulse is to have him bounced out of the program. let him have a consequence that might shake him up.

then schedule him for a week or 2 in jail where his activities (sneeking/petty theft) might actually land him

and follow up with a month or so at the mrdd workshop/adult daycare center. to see if that would shock him into some degree of maturity since this is what he'll end up doing if he isn't able to handle the responsibilties of a job?

thanks for listening.

oh by the way, number 2 is much more compliant-- still highly skilled, but doesn't like consequenses. even as a toddler he'd watch to see if #1 got in trouble first before trying something.

diggerb

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living