SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_gw

Babysitting Rates

katie
22 years ago

I live in the midwest and I was wondering how much most of you pay babysitters? What age is the babysitter? How old are your children and what gender?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on this!

Thanks

Comments (79)

• violinplayer1993
    17 years ago

I am looking for a job. I have took the babysitter's training classes through Red Cross. I am a 13 year old female. Straight A student. Will to also do chours around the house. I am located in Milwaukie,Oregon. Please e-mail. I am also wondering how much should I charge. Thanks. Julz

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

violinplayer1993, luckily you're not set up to receive email! First, make sure your parents know you are placing notices on the internet -- ask their help. Going to someone else's house is serious business. I would not let my 13 year old babysit for someone I did not know. Take care of yourself first!

As for charging, I'd say $6-7/hour for 1 or 2 kids. Minimum wage is $5.15 so you should not charge less, regardless of your age. Take yourself seriously. Charge more for more kids, & "overtime." Talk to your parents about hours and days of the week you should accept jobs so you protect your own needs (school, sleep, sports etc). Be clear about your availability, esp on school nights. If you have a friend who has also taken the course you might consider working together if you're sure the two of you would work well together, without distraction. My daughter has done this occasionally & the two girls have a set price they share -- this works well when there are 3-4 kids. Set some ground rules for your business & don't be afraid to talk about money.

It's important for women to have practice taking their work and time seriously.

• Related Discussions

weeklong babysitting rate?

Q

Comments (7)
    HOw much should i pay my 16 yr. old Daughter for babysitting this summer. Well, when my son was a baby and watched by a stay-at-home mom, we paid her $5/hr for the day. In the case of your daughter, you probably don't have to pay her that much but I wouldn't skimp either. Maybe $10-$25/day/kid. So if she watches a child Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm, that's anywhere between $50-$125 for that one child for the week. If she watches two children three days a week, then she should get anywhere between $60-$150 for the week. Yes, it's expensive but taking care of children is hard work and you also want her to clean the house (definitely not easy to do with three non-napping children).
    ...See More

Babysitting Rates - Help

Q

Comments (3)
    missmack, I would think the 16-21 yr. olds should be more than be able to take care of themselves for a couple weeks. Sounds like the parents don't have a lot of trust in their kids. Are they big troublemakers--which may figure into your fee. Wow--a 21 yr old having a babysitter! I would charge the typical babysitting rates in your area. Of course, not sure how to calculate your sleeping time. But, I bet it's putting you out a bit not getting to wake up and get ready at home. Maybe $25 a day/night? bbjan, The $8 sounds reasonable to me, but I don't know about California rates - You may be able to get more. And, I guess it mainly depends on supply and demand for both of you. Could you find other people to sit for and charge more for...Could she get others to drive and babysit for the same amount? How much does the school's aftercare cost?
    ...See More

New Years Eve Babysitting -- long

Q

Comments (31)
    As you look ahead toward this summer, you might want to check out the opportunities to work in your town's summer recreation program (if they have one--if not, ask around to see if there's one in another town). Our town offers great enrichment classes for kids ages 4 thru high school, it's a great opportunity to work with kids doing something you might not otherwise be able to do--we have elementary teachers teaching drama, juggling, something called Wiggle and Giggle, fun science, etc. I've been involved for the past 15 years and love the fact that while I'm actually a high school teacher, I get to teach cooking to elementary-aged students (Storybook Cooks is a fun literature-based class for the 5 & 6 year-olds; Kids Cook is gourmet Cooking for 3rd -6th graders). We--all of us, teachers and students--have a ball. And the pay is great--over $26/hour, so even working parttime, I'm making fairly good money. Other good summer jobs for college students--working at a summer camp; day care centers often need extra help in the summer (and you'd gain valuable experience if you do decide to go off on your own in the field), the zoo, children's museums. Keep in mind that a 'real' job will look a little better on your employment history than babysitting or childcare will when you do finish school and go out looking. Another consideration might be whether or not your employer will let you come back to work during your winter break--DD's waitressing job ALWAYS lets the college kids come in when they're home on vacation. That's a nice 'extra' and means you don't have to scrounge each time you come home. Good luck--I do hope you're taking up something to do with working with children. We need more caring, interested adults like you teaching our precious little ones.
    ...See More

Vacation Childcare--feedback

Q

Comments (13)
    I'm in the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia--high population density area, and very high cost. You make a good point about cost, but what I'm proposing really couldn't be done for less. I just did a quick search of day camp rates in my area. That would be the kind of experience I'd be offering--not simple daycare. It would be structured, there would be plenty to do (and take home), and I'm a very experienced teacher. Anyway, a week at day camp in my area runs between $800-well over $1000. So for a comparable, small-group, full day (with the option of extending hours) experience with lots of personal attention, I don't think $150-200 is out of line at all. I know it sounds like a lot if you compare it to babysitting rates, but that's not what I'm suggestion. I'm talking about a truly educational, but fun week, during school holidays.
    ...See More
  • linda_triple_mom
    17 years ago

I care for a 19 year old disabled boy whow is mentally about 2 and not toilet trained two hours a day after school. I have three boys of my own and have to juggle after school sports with his parents picking him up late without letting me know they'll be late. I originally charged them only $4/hr, but I feel like I'm being taken advangage of on a regalar basis. Does anyone know how much I should really be charging them per hour to be fair to both his family and mine? Thanks, Linda

• lauraann2007
    17 years ago

hello in a week my sister thats 15 and i that is 17yrs old are going to start babysitting 3 girls. A 4 wk old, 5yr old, 8yr old. they are family friends. they asked us to descide on how much we should b paid. it'll b while they are at work for 2 1/2 wks from 7am until 5pmish. i was wondering if anyone had any advise? it would b greatly apprieated.

• lauraann2007
    17 years ago

O ya i live in central california. any suggestions on what my sister and i should be paid???
    thanks

• jessikadarling
    17 years ago

Hey! I am a 20 year old college student, I have an interview this evening with a young family ((i believe they are 26 and 27)) They have two kids, a 5 month old girl and a 3 yr old boy, I would be full time Mon-Fri, & I would drive the 3 year old to daycare at 9am and pick him up at 1pm, so he would not be there all of the day. I have not had a full time babysitting job since I was 18 and back then she just gave me a set 200 a week. I have no clue where to begin charging ... I was thinking 6/hr.. because the little boy wouldnt be there all day, and the day care is not a bad drive because its right up the street, but I also wouldnt mind if I had to run errands or straighten the house, but i desperately need a job and am kind of afraid to ask for more, school starts back in august but i am taking afternoon classes so i would still be able to babysit, i have to be there in an hour and a half! i hope someone reads this soon and lets me know something, if not ill check tonight and see if we made an ok deal :o) thanks!

• jessikadarling
    17 years ago

ok...well i was going to have to ask for 6/hr but then they offered 125 a week..when doing the math that is only like 3 something an hr..or its like working for 5 an hr and getting taxes taken out..im a little dissapointed..but im desperate and need to be able to pay for school..so illalso be working a night job at hobby lobby and it should total 300 a week..kind of upset about the babysitting, but its only going to be for 6 weeks and im kind of desperate...

• lauraann2007
    17 years ago

actually we(my sister(15) and i, 17) will only b sitting for 3hrs a day from july 10th - july 26 only wk days. watching 3girls 5wk, 5yr, 8yr olds. any advice on how much we should b paid for living in central CA??????

• platinumblondeluv
    17 years ago

I'm going to be babysitting for 2 weeks for a close friend's grandchildren,I've babysat for her before but I was 15/16 I just turned 17 monday and I never really felt too comfortable w/ how much she paid me,but did'nt know quite how to tell her.She gives me 2.50 per child per hour.But,the children fraternal boy&girl both 5 get pretty hyper and ramnbuncsious especially the boy,I give them baths,breakfast,lunch& sometimes dinner,make sure they get their naps,clean up the house after them,make sure they're never board,always play w/ them,and do everything a mother would do,even their laundry sometimes.I just felt everytime she paid me I should've gotten more for all I did.I was just wondering what you think the amount I should be getting paid per child is,& maybe how to tell her tactfully,cause she gets offended easily.Oh btw we live ina small newmexico town,but she does live in the higher part of town,& is a little extravagant w/ her spending @ times,so one thing I know is that it's not a matter of affording a higher rate.

• kaycodzmom
    17 years ago

I've been reading through these messages and I still have a question. My daughter, 15yrs, babysat last night for the first time for some friends of some friends. Thier daughter used to babysit and now she is too busy so she refered my daughter. My daughter asked her how much to charge but, she really didn't give straight answer, just that they pay very good!
    Well, here's my question. My daughter babysat from 4:30pm until 1:30am and got paid $25, that's not even $3 an hour. There was 1 child, a 5 yo boy.
    Please let me know if this is a far rate for a night of babysitting. I thought she was beinging a little cheap.

• khernandez
    17 years ago

Hello i have been baby sitting for about 6 years 4 of them were in home babysitting between school years i have taken corses in college about child care and all that jazz but when i was younger when i babysat i really didnt care much what i got paid but care money was money i am only 20 so my delimna right now is i am an in home nanny and we just moved to Oregon and the family that i live with has two girls 6 and 11 which isnt bad but the father across the street his girl play with my girls he has twins that are 6 and the youngest is 3 and him and his wife are no longer to gether and the kids are at the moment in there life because of this happening they always get there way and with me that just doesnt fly i have watched them a couple of time befor free of charge because it was only an hour or so but now he wants me to watch them 3 times a week for 3 or 4 hours and i dont know what to charge him.

And to kaycodzmom yes your daughter got screwed even if it was just a five year old boy that is a whole days work for an adult i think she should at least been paid around 50-75 and i am leaning more for the 75 or more but in my experence if she didnt say anything about it to the parents the chances of her getting paid what is left is highly unlikely!

• blissfulserendipity
    17 years ago

OH My... After reading this I think I may not be getting paid fairly. I watch a 5 year old, I pick her up from school feed her lunch, snacks and sometimes dinner. Plus take her on extra trips with my family to wherever we are going. I get paid 2.50 an hour.. I watch her for 6 hours a day. Is this fair? What should I be charging?

• milomlo
    17 years ago

HI all! I am new to the boards here. I am just starting to babysit in my home and I am curious about rates.
    I am a stay at home mom of 2 and I am CPR certified. I was going to charge $7.00 per hour ($3 for 2nd child = $10 hour for 2 kids)and $8 an hour if I have to drive the child to and from school or something like that.
    I have had a couple different parents ask me about weekly rates. I don't know what to charge. If I charge $45 a day for a 6 hour day and I watch that child 5 days a week that comes to $225 a week. Now I will be picking this child up from school daily. Does that seem to high? I know some daycares can charge as little as $180, but I am not a day care. Any suggestions?? What would a good daily rate, weekly rate and hourly rate be? FYI I live in HOuston, TX

• cindyre20_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

I am a live in nanny for my sister in law who has 2 kids, 2 and 4, and they pay me $200 a week. We don't pay any utilities or rent but we have our own kitchen and laundry. I watch the girls for about 10 hours a day 4 days a week and any other times as needed (which is only like 2 or 3 times a month) but the pay is the same every week. Daycares in MD where I live charge about $25/ day (9 to 12 hours) for children 2 and older and $30 or $35 for children under 2.

AS far as hourly babysitting rates go, I have been babysitting since I was 15 (I am now 24) and in high school (back in 1998 or so) was paid $2 - $3 an hour per kid depending on the age and what I was to do for them. In college it was more like $5/ hour per kid but for families with 3 or more kids I don't think I charged more than $12. Stay at home moms tend to pay babysitters more and parents who know their kids act up or have a hard time finding a sitter have paid up $15/ hour for 3 kids plus tip and a college age babysitter.

A lot of people pay extra if you drive their child and I have even had one family pay for gas to drive to and from their house when I was a part time summer nanny.

The bottom line is if you want a qualified, experienced babysitter who your kids really like you need to pay them well to keep them.

I suggest having a set rate of $ 4 or $5 dollars and hour for 1 child and add $2 or $3 an hour for each additional and give a tip depending on what duties the sitter does while their there. If you notice they clean dishes or pick up toys give an extra $5 or $10 tip or if they make dinner or bath them or something.

Good sitters are hard to find but will keep coming back if your kids behave and they feel like their efforts are appreciated which means you pay them well.

• eshorter_purdue_edu
    16 years ago

Hello! I have been babysitting for a family close to a year now. They have three children, all girls, ages 2, 3, and 10. I have a great time watching the kids but they can be a handfull sometimes. They just asked me to watch the kids this summer 4 days a week for about 10 hours a day. She usually pays me $6 an hour when i just watch the children for the afternoon or evening. She only offered me $150 a week to watch them this summer. I would be able to take the children places such as the pool or the park, and she said she would give extra gas money if I did these things. I was wondering if you think this is fair to pay less in the summer, but for more of a commitment?

I just graduated from High school and will be attending college in the fall. I have over 5 years of experience babysitting, and also babysit for other families in their neighborhood. Most of the other families pay about $7/hr. for three kids. What do you think a fair price would be to watch the 3 children for the summer?

-Liz

• lisango
    16 years ago

I live in Victoria. I just wondering how much most of you pay babysitters? What is the going rate for babysitting? Cause, I am going to babysit one 3 1/2 years old girl by the end of this month.

I would greatly appreciate if someone tell me on this!

Thank you very much.

• lisango
    16 years ago

live in Victoria. I just wondering how much do you pay for babysitters? What is the going rate for babysitting? Cause I am new with this job. I am going to babysit for one 3 1/2 years old girl by the end of this month.
    I would greatly appreciate if someone tell me on this!

Thank you very much.

• mogeys_mom
    16 years ago

I live in the Milwaukee, WI area and haven't seen any suggested rates for babysitting a 2-1/2 yr. old & 10 yr. old. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

• mel_ii_meloo_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

i do not know what 2 charge I have a babysitting course and a first aid course! what do i charge

thank you
    Confusedmel

• natti
    16 years ago

Eastern Shore of Maryland--I pay $10/hr for 3 kids ages 12, 11 and 8. Anxiously awaiting my 12 yr old to mature a bit and take on the job, hopefully by 13 when she is legally able to babysit.

• curlykim09
    16 years ago

I've just taken on a job as a (grand)mother's helper and I have a little bit of confusion on what to charge. I'm a mature, CPR and First Aid Certified 16 yr. old straight A junior in high school living in North Carolina. My friend lives in an upper class neighbor hood and she doesn't take less than 8 dollars an hour (for a babysitting job, not a mother's helper). My neighbor hood is upper middle class and I don't want to charge too much, but I'm also not sure if 4 dollars an hour for taking care of a hyperactive 6 year old girl and a 3 month old baby is quite enough. I was wondering if 6 dollars was appropriate amount. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Kim

• kkny
    16 years ago

I think 6 is the minimum. I am a mom in an upper middle class area in Westchester NY

• timily
    16 years ago

I am a stay at home mom, 26. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I have just started watching 2 year old twins. Any suggestions for what should I be charging per hour?

• gracet
    16 years ago

Hello,
    I have been babysitting for this family for over four years. They have three kids (9,7,3). I love this family, I have been with them too long to give up now. But every time they come home I have the dishes done, the house spotless, kids rooms and playrooms cleaned, and the kids have been fed, are worn out, and have a positive attitude. I get paid $7 an hour which is nice but... I just feel like I do so much for this family and I do not get any back. Also the mother expects me to reserve one night each weekend for her and expects me to jump thru hoops to be ready at a moments notice if she needs me anytime. That would be fine but I babysit for other familys with less kids and they pay more, and not only that I feel like they have more respect for me.

• Chika325Latina88_aol_com
    16 years ago

I AM A 19 YEAR OLD FEMALE FROM WEST TEXAS. I HAVE WORKED AT A DAY CARE AS AN AIDE AND AS A TEACHERS AIDE/SUB TEACHER. I HAVE TAKEN A FEW CHILD CARE COURSES. I WAS JUST RECENTLY OFFERNED A JOB TO TAKE CARE OF 2 CHILDREN 1 IS A GIRL WHO IS ALMOST 3 AND THE OTHER IS A LIL BOY WHOS IS ALMOST 1. THE PARENT IS A SINGLE FATHER. I WILL ALSO BE FEEDING THEM, BATHING THEM AND DOING SMALL CHOURS SUCH AS DISHES AND THEIR LAUNDRY. I WILL WATCH THEM FROM 7AM-5PM M-TH AND FROM 7AM-3PM ON FRIDAYS. WHO IS BE A DAILY RATE OR A WEEKLY ONE OR EVEN MOTHLY ... AND WHAT WOULD THAT RATE BE?

• gellchom
    16 years ago

Boy, does this make me feel old! When I was a young teenager (I'm 50 now), people usually paid my friends and me 50 cents an hour, and perhaps a tip. Probably more if it was several kids, included a meal or bath, etc. Even at 50 cents an hour, it sure felt like a license to steal when all it involved was watching TV, reading, or doing my homework in a house in which a baby happened to be sleeping.

That wouldn't buy anything now, but back then I think a first-run movie cost $2.00. So an evening of babysitting paid for a movie and maybe popcorn. Maybe that is still a good formula for a teenage babysitter for an evening: whatever adds up to enough to pay for a teen's evening out. People seem to pay my daughter more than that, though. What do you think?

• savannah_lance
    16 years ago

hello, I am a 24 year old mother of 2. I am currently living with a friend of mine in Norfolk, Va. I babysit for her 3 children ages 18 months, 2 years and 5 years. I also cook, clean, feed them, bath them, do homework, laundry, dishes etc. She doesnt pay me a lot of money but I can understand that I am living with her. My boyfriend and I just bought a house and will be moving in next month. I need some advice on how much I should charge her. I will be driving to and from her house with her kids and my kids every time i watch them. She is in the Navy now but will be transfering the the Army in a few months and will be going to school. I will have her kids full time every day all day until she gets back. How much should i charge her for that? Please someone give me some advice. Thanks for your time

• babycakes_2008
    16 years ago

hi i am currently a colege student and have 1 child of my own who attends school during the day, so i began watching my godson and his sister for one of my friends she only pays me 20 dollars a day on the days i watch them, she usually supplys the food and some snacks i watch them for about 10pm to 7:30am i dont know if i am getting paid enough i know she doesnt make much but at the same time i do bath them and sometimes give the my food and snacks i dont want to seem mean i am quit sure she can find someone else who will do for the same or less, its just that i need the money and its myh only job at this time, due to no one else will work around my hectic school schedule, or if i wanted to watch more children what shoukld i charge? i havent babysat since highsholl where i got payed $6 bucks an hr for 2 little girls one was a baby and the other about 4 please email me your responses it will be greatly apprircaeted. confused my emAIL IS LILL292006@AOL.COM

• babycakes_2008
    16 years ago

hi i am currently a colege student and have 1 child of my own who attends school during the day, so i began watching my godson and his sister for one of my friends she only pays me 20 dollars a day on the days i watch them, she usually supplys the food and some snacks i watch them for about 10pm to 7:30am i dont know if i am getting paid enough i know she doesnt make much but at the same time i do bath them and sometimes give the my food and snacks i dont want to seem mean i am quit sure she can find someone else who will do for the same or less, its just that i need the money and its myh only job at this time, due to no one else will work around my hectic school schedule, or if i wanted to watch more children what shoukld i charge? i havent babysat since highsholl where i got payed $6 bucks an hr for 2 little girls one was a baby and the other about 4 please email me your responses it will be greatly apprircaeted. confused my emAIL IS LILL292006@AOL.COM

• cmgcol
    16 years ago

I am a 25 yr old teacher who is already giving my friend a discount of $10/hr to watch her 3 kids (3-6yr). How much do u parents feel is reasonable for a full weekend stay? I'll be there from Friday night to Monday morning doing everything for the kids. Thanks!

• bnicebkind
    16 years ago

Since so many others have addressed the rates, also set up "rules" up front for your babysitters. It's hard to go back when they have been babysitting for a long time and change the ground rules.

For example: Do you mind if they are talking to their friends on the phone while babysitting your children? Keep in mind that some of these conversations that teens fall into may not be conversations you want your children overhearing.

Do you mind if they have friends stopping by, or a boyfriend?

What about what TV programs/videos are appropriate in your home with children?

Do you expect them to clean up (kitchen) or toys etc., before you come home, so that you are not coming home after a lovely evening out, only to find the kitchen and family room trashed.

Do you mind them on your family computer?

Anyway, you may want to think about some of these things and set up clear ground rules on what works for your family. Some things may seem like common sense to you, but things may be different in their home, and they may not think the same way you do.

Remember, many are still teens themselves, and they are still learning.

• unicornluvr
    15 years ago

hi there! i am wondering how much i should charge for babysitting a 3yr old girl and a 6yr old boy 3 times a week + constant entertainment and supervision and chores. about 8 hours a day. plus driving places. i am 20 yrs old. any advice is appreciated! thanks! :)

• shorty22
    15 years ago

I have been babysitting for the same lady for several years and I don't know what to do. I'm about to graduate from collage and I ended up getting a job but the lady i babysit for still wants me to babysit 24/7 for her. I babysit her 3 sons at the ages of 4,6,and 10. they are very misbehaved and are constantly hitting each other and sneaking junk food behind my back while im taking care of one of the other kids. it gets so bad that ive had to hide the junk food and ive takin toys away from them because their constantly hitting each other with them and trying to break things in the house. I get paid $6/hr. for all 3 kids not individually. I feel more like a nanny than a babysitter because i have to clean the house, run her arrands, pick the kids up from school and other things. She even gets mad at me when i make plans for a girls night out with my friends after she told me she didnt need me that night and expects me to be by her side all the time. i dont know how to tell her that she isnt paying me enough for all that i do without her yelling at me. if anyone knows what i should do please tell me? thanks

• hmja
    15 years ago

I think it depends on the age of the child being sat - infant caregivers need to be paid more compared to an 8 year old. Take in the variables of having to feed the child a meal, watch for the entire day, or driving them to a lesson. I have a five year old and when I hire a teen to watch him for an evening it is $6.00/hour. If I need care for a whole day , I pay more. If the teen or adult is taking my child to a lesson it is an easy $10.00/hour.
    If you are also wondering about age of hire - the Red Cross Recommends children need to be 11 years (need to show birth cert)to take thier Red Cross Babysitting class.

• mrsmeg
    15 years ago

The bottom line is this.... if you agree to the rate, it's fair. The area you live in, the average income of families, how many children, the age of the children, the genereal BEHAVIOR of the children, what time of day and what kinds of activities you are expected to do is all a factor in determining what is "fair" to pay a sitter.

I worked as a babysitter for many years, when I was a young girl and teen and I was paid $2.50/hour to babysit no less than three children, all under kindergarten-aged, made meals, cleaned and sometimes stayed very late into the night. When you are 12-13 years old, this is a good-paying, CASH job that is totally worth it. Also, that was over 15 years ago, in a small, rural community where the median income was about 25-35K. Was it fair? Absolutely. I agreed to it and it was all they could afford!

Now I live in the Chicago-suburbs and am hiring my own sitters for my very well-behaved, happy, three year old son for a few hours a week while my husband is out of town so I can go to my night job that brings me home about 2 in the morning. It makes me choke a little to pay someone over $10/hour to watch my son (especially when they are sitting there watching tv or sleeping the majority of the time since he goes to bed at about 8:30.. not the mention the fact that my job only pays a few more dollars/hr more than that!) but that is what people charge here. I found a girl willing to do it for $5 an hour because she had no experience but another who wanted $10 told me "No" when I tried to get her down to $7-8. Said it "wasn't worth the drive" to her.

Honestly, it IS a bit shocking to me since I live in the FAR west suburbs and not the city.. but in the long run, it's my CHILD and I will pay what someone wants if I know I can trust them and not worry about the safety of my baby. It's worth it, even though I think it's WAY TOO HIGH.

Sitters.... just make sure you are EARNING that $10-15. You'd better play with these kids and be kind to them for that kind of pay... and realize that it's hard to find a job out in the world that will pay you that, period! You do more work at a factory and you won't earn that! If I could find someone willing to be paid minimum wage, I'd use them all the time! The sense of entitlement baffles me, really. How do people even AFFORD these rates?

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

I don't see it as entitlement at all.
    Do you really want to entrust your child to the lowest bidder?

• caitlinsmom23_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I guess I must be lucky or live in a place where babysitting is cheap b/c I found one for $12 for a full day and $10 for half a day but she only babysits during the daytime work hours, but she's a retired school teacher, so she teaches, feeds, and gives the naps and outdoor playtime. The going rate here is $3/hr for teens to babysit, but if someone charged me $10/hr with experience or not I'd just go find a daycare or quit my job because it would not be worth working for it. Daycares only charge between $75 and $120 here and I can find night time home daycares that charge that or less. I guess it does depend on where you live. I can't afford to pay someone more than what I myself make. Now if I had a good income that brought in more than $10 to $15 and hour, I might be a little pickier but the point is there are alot of single parents leaving their young children home by themselves because they can't afford daycare much less expensive babysitters b/c they have one income and it is less than those rates listed above. I just think it's kinda sad that they can't find decent prices for sitters. Low income parents have to work and thats just a fact.

• believer
    15 years ago

People that care for your children are providing an extremely valuable service. They also have bills to pay....Teenagers should not be considered slave labor. A good sitter is worth their weight in gold. I understand that it can be expensive and depending on what you make perhaps not worth it. I have had to have my kids in daycare when I worked and also used sitters that came to my home. I have seldom used sitters for an evening out though.

When my DD20 would sit for a family of three kids she was paid $5.00 an hour. She was a teenager at the time. These kids were a hand full.

• yoyobon_gw
    14 years ago

Sometimes just simply asking people whom you know and trust regarding their sitters can link you with reputable sources

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I doubt the OP is still looking for a babysitter, given the original post was from 2001.

• takecarekids
    14 years ago

i live in west side of memorial and stay at home mom i am willing to babysit for 6$ an hour.i am a stay at home mom and have a 3 year old daughter.

• maddogmelly_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i dont understand alot of u people that are only charging 1 to 2 dollars an hour...... we do alot of work and were even letting you guys have a night off from the kids i no your used to when you were a kid but times have chnged atleast pay 3/3.50 an hour than youll be getting a decent/good babysitter

• viviossorio_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

i was offer to take care of two kids, 2 & 4 yrs, for three days, -weekend- starting saturday until monday... what would be a fair pay for the three days...I was looking at the hourly rate and its like 12.50$ if i added together for the 3 days is very expensive.... im new here and i really dont now how the rates work in this country..

thanks a lot,

Alejandra

• isabellagracia_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

WOW! I'm suprised at these posts....I used to get paid $45 a day for watching one 4 month old...that was for 10-12 hours a day. I thought this was average in California. But minimum wage is $8.50 an hour. I feel like if your paying your sitter $5 an hour for 2 or more kids (and they are qualified and experienced) then youre telling them you don't really appreciate them, on the otherhand if your babysitter is 16 with not much experience this is fine to me. Babysitters work hard, especially with more than one child. I wouldn't do it for less than $25 a day per child.

• donnalynnskies_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I will be moving to Frazier. Park CA this summer. I have an Assoc. Degree in Elementary Ed. I want to babysit during the summer,months. Can anyone please give me the going rates for this. I am older and have also been a foster parent and have lots of experience with kids. Any information will be appreciated.

• donnalynnskies_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I will be moving to Frazier. Park CA this summer. I have an Assoc. Degree in Elementary Ed. I want to babysit during the summer,months. Can anyone please give me the going rates for this. I am older and have also been a foster parent and have lots of experience with kids. Any information will be appreciated.

• hectorandmarie_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

wow I babysit I am 21 and she only pays me 2 an hr and I watch her son 8 mos 12 13 14 hrs a day sometimes over 96 hrs straight and te more I watch him the more she wants me to lower the rate... I live in california she's a marine so I watch him all wk and she's never offered to pay more she actually said daycare was cheaper

• A_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I live in Seattle and the going rates that my friends and I charge (in a middle/upper middle class neighborhood) ranges from 9-15. I get paid $10 an hour to lifeguard at a pool, and watching children is the same. You are being trusted with people's most valuable possessions and should be paid accordingly. $3 seems incredible low for an hourly wage, especially if you are giving long term care. If you are putting in the hours equivalent to that of a nanny you should be paid a little bit more in my opinion, as you are doing the job of the parent at that point.

• Adler_alexa_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am babysitting a 3 year old and a 1 year old theremom is going to be there but she is going to be working soo I am kinda by my self.what should I charge. Hour

• Ajmill1428_gmail_com
    12 years ago

What is the going rate for overnight sitting? In the Midwest. From 9:30pm to 6:30am?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert