SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistopheles52

how to deal with rude children

mistopheles52
16 years ago

Hi Everyone. My daughter called me this morning and was telling me about her girlfriend, husband and their 2 kids coming over to their home this past weekend. My daughter and this girlfriend have been friends since they were 5 years old and now they are 29 and 30 years old. It seems that each time I talk with daughter about when these people come over, my daughter is terribly agitated because her kids are misbehaving (especially the boy who is 5). These kids are left to do what they want....jump on furniture, throw toys, not listen when being spoken to. The parents just don't seem to get it. My daughter just had her second baby a little over a month ago and has a two year now. My granddaughter does not have this type of behaviour. Don't get me wrong, she is a typical two year old but ends up being the one getting hurt because the boy is too rambuntious. I have seen him in action before and he is a little hellraiser. Of course, his Dad just seems to scoff it off on the mother and makes comments to the effect that she should be disciplining her child better. They are nice people....they just don't discipline their children. As this was a Xmas exchange/supper for all of them, my daughter had bought gifts for everyone and to her horror and hurt was confronted with BOTH children asking "That's it" and "Did you get something else for me" proceeded by the boy pitching the gifts around the room. Mom just said "Ah c'mon now, that's enough" My daughter said she asked them to pick up the gifts and he would not, so she picked them up, through them in the gift bag and stuffed the bag at the end of the stairs. She said she was hurt....I don't blame her. My question is: How without jeopardizing their friendship can my daughter and her husband get these people to understand that letting their kids act like wildkids is not acceptable in their home? I had suggested the next time gifts are to be given to buy each of them a gift certificate and put it in a card. What do you think?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz